[Peace-discuss] re: approaching local churches

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Mon Nov 7 12:55:57 CST 2005

Phil,

I guess it would be useful if we could poll the churches in C-U to
find out in how many sermons, if any, there has been a discussion of
the morality of present American foreign policy/actions . My
admittedly anecdotal information is that too few have done so. That
is why I noted the silence of too many churches . "Too many" is my
opinion and evaluation; yours is evidently different. Others, even
church members, agree with my impression. Moreover, as is confirmed
by polls among evangelical fundamentalist churches, those who support
the war Iron Iraq are predominant. By now, of course, most Americans
think the war to have been a "mistake".

September 12, 2005 by the San Bernardino County Sun (California)

…Two months after Bush declared major combat in Iraq completed in May
2003, most Christians thought the United States had acted prudently,
according to a poll by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

Those agreeing with the military effort were 68 percent of white
mainline Protestants, 74 percent of white Catholics and 79 percent of
white evangelicals. Mainline denominations are those that originated
in Europe and include Lutherans, Episcopalians and Methodists.

The survey numbers fell during the following two years.

A poll last July by the Pew Forum showed 56 percent of white mainline
Protestants and 54 percent o f white Catholics supported military
involvement. Even among evangelicals, who helped Bush win re-
election, support had fallen by 11 percentage points.

Richard Cizik, vice president of governmental affairs for the
National Association of Evangelicals, which did not publicly endorse
the war but has been a Bush backer, seemed surprised Friday when he
was told 68 percent of evangelicals still thought invading Iraq was
the right thing to do.

"It's probably attributable to general support of the president,"
Cizik said.…

We are motivated by recognition of these facts and the urgency of
getting the United States to drastically alter its policies.

It is of course true that many of the organized mainline churches
have spoken out against the war [The World Council of Churches,
National Council of Churches, United Methodist, Episcopal, Pope John
Paul II, etc.], but I don't know how that has been translated into
Sunday sermons to their congregations.

Knowing you to be an anti-war person, I must say that I've been
surprised by the vehemence of your criticism of our projected actions
to help end this loathesome war. Perhaps you should attend one of our
working group meetings on this topic. I understand that you think we
should approach the leaders of the churches first before acting. That
is a tactical question which we are thinking about.

Mort

Now, to your specific remarks:

On Nov 6, 2005, at 8:59 PM, Phil Stinard wrote:

> Mort,
>
> I'm puzzled by your comments.  For me, the bottom line is that
> until you approach and talk to ministers and members of the
> churches you plan to target and find out what their views are, you
> have absolutely nothing to go on regarding the views held by said
> individual churches, and any protest of perceived views will NOT be
> well-received or constructive in the least.  I'll make additional
> comments in-line below:

We hope to approach the members of the congregation rather than "the
individual churches", although I would agree that it would be useful
to talk to the church leaders as well about these issues.

>> Some thoughts: Our initiative to be an anti-war, anti-torture, anti-
>> justice presence outside churches comes from our recognition of the
>> self imposed silence of too many churches in ignoring these foremost
>> moral issues of the day.
>
> "Too many churches"?  Can you be more specific and give a
> percentage of churches that ingnore the foremost moral issues of
> the day, or is this just a vague impression?

I've addressed this already, above.

>> All the more so since we understand the
>> importance of religion in this nation and the influence of its
>> churches.
>
> What is your understanding of the importance of religion in this
> nation and the influence of its churches?

Do you require a treatise? It has been well documented that the
degree of religiosity in the United States is far higher than in any
other western developed country. It is natural to infer from this
that folks consider religion very important here. As to the influence
of the churches as such, that is less sure. Certainly, the general
population does not always follow the precepts of the church leaders
(Catholics divorce and practice birth control, etc.). But I don't
think folks attend church purely for social reasons; they expect to
find enlightenment there, and guidance too.

>> To bring up issues like anti-religious activism and anti-
>> abortion activism is gratuitous to say the least.   Our efforts are
>> not against religion or churches per se. We seek simply to dialog and
>> inform members of the religious community about these critical
>> politico-moral issues.
>
> Well, I've seen plenty of examples of anti-religious activism and
> pro-abortion activism by the progressive community, but if you say
> that this will not be a part of any AWARE church actions, I will
> take your word on it.

Good.

>> My inclination is that if the leaders of the churches approach us, we
>> should gladly respond. However, if such leaders are antagonistic
>> about discussing these issues, we should not refrain from approaching
>> their membership in whatever peaceful way we can. This will no doubt
>> arouse antagonism by those who support our government's policies or
>> think it unseemly to bring forward such controversy. So be it.
>
> "Arouse antagonism by those who support our government's
> policies"?  Now who is being gratuitious, Mort?  And you expect the
> leaders of the churches to approach you first in order to head off
> "approaching their membership" in a peaceful way?  Dialogue needs
> to take place before any such actions could possibly be condoned.

You seem to feel that it outrageous (can't be "condoned") that we
distribute information on the sidewalks in front of a church. I
don't. Also, I don't understand the gratuitousness of my statement;
is it just that it's obvious? You seem to feel that we are attacking
the churches in doing so. We are not attacking the institutions as
such, we may be attacking the silence of those individual churches,
or worse than the silence, their implicit or explicit approval of the
war.

>> And what does "self -righteous" imply in this context?
>
> Self-righteous in this context means that you assume that you have
> a moral orientation superior to that the average person attending
> the church in question.

Yes, we wish to explain what we think is the immorality of the war.
That does imply that we are inherently superior, but it may imply
that we are more sensitive and informed. Most folks with strong
opinions think their opinions are superior  to others'. Else, why
would they hold them?

>> Our working group has not yet determined exactly how we shall
>> proceed.
>
> Yes, but I've read suggestions, and the Methodist minister
> certainly developed some impressions from the limited dialogue that
> he had with AWARE.

I'm unaware of the dialogue he had with AWARE. I must say however,
that his statement is, over all, a welcome one. But I disagree with
his statement:

"In my opinion, passing an "official resolution" is actually an
abdication of the real power that congregations."

Recent statements by many main line churches would also strongly
disagree.

Mort