[Peace-discuss] Vigils, Protest, and Controversy in Ann Arbor

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 12 13:00:23 CST 2005

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:43:15 -0500
   From: Henry Herskovitz <hersko at umich.edu>
Subject: Report on Beth Israel vigil 11-05-2005

JWPF Requested to Halt Vigils

Jewish Witnesses for Peace and Friends are in receipt
of a letter
from Ann Arbor's Interfaith Council for Peace and
Justice, asking us
to terminate our weekly vigils at Beth Israel. We
invite our
readership to examine the content of this letter, and
ask yourselves
if this sounds like a familiar refrain: otherwise
progressive groups
failing to confront their local organized Jewish
community to oppose
Israel's Apartheid structure, and then turning on the
individuals or
groups that do. This letter was leaked to members of
Ann Arbor's
Zionist community over two weeks before it was
officially received by
JWPF. Your comments are welcome on either their letter
or our
response. Both documents are reprinted below signature
in their
entirety.

You can visit the 40-year-old Interfaith Council for
Peace and
Justice web site at http://www.icpj.net/ The 18-member
Steering
Committee has tabled indefinitely endorsing the
Palestine Civil
Society call for boycotts, divestment and sanctions,
claiming lack of
education, yet only two members attended a stirring
talk by Ayed
Morrar and Jonathan Pollack, Palestinian and Israeli
activists. They
repeated their presentation three times in two days.
Had members of
ICPJ's Steering Committee attended, they would have
heard Jonathan
call clearly and loudly for boycotts, sanctions, and
divestment
against his country.

Dershowitz Flyer Available

Readers are reminded to attend a protest of the Jewish
Federation of
Washtenaw County's "Big Event", showcasing Alan
Dershowitz, chief
shill and plagiarizer for the State of Israel. Half
sheet fliers are
available for download at

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hersko/Flyers/Dershowitz%20Flyer.doc

print it, copy it, distribute it, and see you on
Thursday, December
1st. 6pm at Ypsilanti Marriott at Eagle Crest

Reliable Vigiler On The Mend

Shirley, Ann Arbor's most successful
flyer-hander-outer and all
around peace activist, has been temporarily sidelined
with partial
knee replacement surgery performed on Tuesday. She is
now back from
the hospital, and on her way to recovery. We will
welcome her back to
Beth Israel as soon as she's deemed ready. Don't hurry
back, but we
miss you! Ten JWPF members held vigil on November 5.

Reject Zionism,
Henry Herskovitz
Jewish Witnesses for Peace and Friends
<http://www.a2vigil.org/>http://www.a2vigil.org

Letter from Interfaith Council for Peace and Justice

Dear Jewish Witnesses for Peace and Friends,

Up until this time the ICPJ has not taken a stand for
or against your
vigils at Beth Israel.   However, seeing the impact
the vigils are
having on our work and our attempt to build a movement
against the
occupation we are now asking you to stop the vigils.

If the purpose of the vigils was to make the synagogue
and the
broader community more aware of the terrible costs of
Israel's
occupation of Palestine the vigils achieved their
purpose.  At this
time, however, the vigils are proving to be both
hurtful and
counterproductive in the following ways:

         For almost two years, the vigil has protested
at Beth
Israel's only time for regular communal worship. This
has come to be
experienced as harassment by almost everyone at the
synagogue,
including those who oppose the occupation.  We know of
no active
member of any synagogue in our community who supports
the vigils
(including a number who did initially).  This
testifies to a strategy
that is fatally flawed.  A strategy that seemed
originally designed
to promote awareness of the occupation is now working
against that as
everyone is focused on the vigils rather than the
occupation.

         At a time when in many parts of the country
we are seeing
the emergence of a unified movement against the
occupation, we in Ann
Arbor seem polarized almost to the point of paralysis
because of
conflict over the vigils. Many people and groups who
support justice
for Palestinians and peace are now hesitant to speak
out because they
don't want to be associated with the vigil.  Many will
no longer work
with ICPJ because they see ICPJ as connected to the
vigils.

         Beth Israel Congregation is a diverse group.
Many members of
the congregation actively speak out and work for a
just peace that
respects the rights of Palestinians.  Indeed, Rabbi
Dobrusin has
publicly called for an end to the occupation of the
West Bank and
Gaza Strip. Targeting these advocates for peace is a
form of
collateral damage that erodes the ability to create a
diverse
coalition that can effectively oppose Israel's
attempting to
consolidate its occupation of large parts of the West
bank.

         A core ICPJ value is that we invite religious
communities to
work with us for justice; we do not coerce them to
support our
programs.  From our point of view the vigils have come
to the place
where they currently violate this value.

In this atmosphere, it seems almost impossible for us
to organize the
unorganized---those who don't yet realize that their
core values
should lead them to oppose the occupation. The
polarization around
the vigils has meant that different groups within
ICPJ, let alone the
broader community, are no longer willing to work
together.  It means
that at last some of the churches whose denomination
bodies have
called for economic sanctions may no longer be willing
to work
locally on justice and peace for Palestine and Israel.

While we have no expectation that a majority of the
religious Jewish
community, or any religious community for that matter,
will at this
point support our work against the occupation---we
want whatever
strong disagreements we have to be about issues
related to the
occupation -- not the vigils.  For all these reasons
we are asking
you to end the vigils now.

Response from Jewish Witnesses for Peace and Friends

Dear Steering Committee Members:

Thank you for your recent letter concerning our vigils
at the Beth
Israel Congregation. Your request to us is premised
upon a number of
claims that we are unable to substantiate. Therefore,
in order that
we may give your argument its due consideration we
would ask for some
clarification. Additionally, we have other questions
bearing more
generally upon your understanding of the
Israel-Palestine conflict
and its solution. Hopefully, you will recognize the
sincerity with
which we approach this matter.

In your letter you claim your "attempt[s] to build a
movement against
the occupation" have been thwarted by the vigils.
Would you please
provide us with evidence of such efforts and describe
how they were
thwarted by our vigils?

Would you please provide us with evidence that "Many
people and
groups who support justice for Palestinians and peace
are now
hesitant to speak out because" of the vigils?

You assert that, "Many will no longer work with ICPJ
because they see
ICPJ as connected to the vigils." Do you agree that
this constitutes
guilt-by-association and, if so, how have you
responded it?

When and where did Rabbi Dobrusin "publicly [call] for
an end to the
occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip"? We note
that in 2003,
the Rabbi delivered a "Sermon For Kol Nidre 5764"* and
in that sermon
he called upon his congregants to "rally behind
[Israel] to insure
her survival as a Jewish state." We are aware of two
ways to ensure
the survival of Israel as a Jewish state; they are
practiced
hand-in-hand. One is to continue to deny non-Jewish
citizens of
Israel full equality with Jews. The second is to
continue to deny the
rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their
homes and
properties as stipulated in UN resolution 194. Do you
support the
survival of Israel as a Jewish ethno-religious
supremacist state on
these terms?

You claim that "Targeting these [Beth Israel]
advocates for peace ...
erodes the ability to create a diverse coalition that
can effectively
oppose Israel's attempting to consolidate its
occupation of large
parts of the West Bank." The vigils are only two years
old; the
Israeli occupation of the West Bank is thirty-eights
years old. In
all that time, has the ICPJ ever before created an
effective,
"diverse coalition" to oppose Israeli occupation? If
so, please
describe that coalition. If not, why should we now
have any
confidence that you can or will create one if the
vigils stop?

On July 9th of this year in an unprecedented show of
unity,
"representatives of Palestinian civil society,
call[ed] upon
international civil society organizations and people
of conscience
all over the world to impose broad boycotts and
implement divestment
initiatives against Israel similar to those applied to
South Africa
in the apartheid era." Will you endorse, publicize,
and promote the
Palestinian call "for Boycott, Divestment and
Sanctions against
Israel Until it Complies with International Law and
Universal
Principles of Human Rights"?

Finally, the vigils have been an important and regular
part of our
social justice work. If we stop the vigils then what
specific
opportunities do you offer us for social justice work
and leadership
within ICPJ?

We look forward to your response.

#