[Peace-discuss] AWARE Agenda, November 20th

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 08:39:24 CST 2005

1. News of the Week

2. Introductions (5 minutes)

3. New Ideas: (15 minutes)

Proposed resolution for Urbana City Council (from Gary
Storm):

At the AWARE Presents meeting last Wednesday night,
the suggestion was made that we (AWARE) approach the
Urbana City Council about adopting a resolution on the
Iraq war.  Let me propose language for such a
resolution that we might discuss as an item of new
business at Sunday's meeting. I am not sure whether I
can paste the resolution in this email format, so if I
am unsuccessful, I will simply bring it to the
meeting.

AWARE Resolution to be Submitted for Adoption by the
Urbana City Council

WHEREAS this City Council passed a resolution opposing
war in Iraq prior to the American invasion;

WHEREAS the American government mislead American
citizens and the world at large with false and
distorted intelligence on the existence of weapons of
mass destruction, connections between Al Qaeda and
the Saddam Hussein regime, and levels of support among
the Iraqi people for an American invasion to overthrow
Hussein;

WHEREAS the American invasion and occupation of Iraq
have killed and maimed thousands of innocent Iraqi
citizens as well as American, Iraqi, and other
coalition troops, and have destroyed, without
reconstruction, extensive infrastructure (power, water
and sewer systems) upon which daily life in Iraq
depends;

WHEREAS the American occupation of Iraq has failed to
establish basic civil order and security for the
citizens of Iraq;

WHEREAS the American invasion and occupation have
increased rather than decreased the level of
resistance to American and coalition forces by
national insurgents and foreign terrorists and created
a situation in which it is almost impossible to
distinguish members of these groups from innocent
Iraqi citizens who, as a result, are being killed and
maimed in escalating numbers;

WHEREAS many families living in Urbana have relatives,
friends and/or colleagues in Iraq who are being
subjected to the above conditions daily, whether as
Iraqi citizens, members of the American military,
business people contracting to provide needed goods
and services, or volunteers seeking to provide humane
relief;

BE IT RESOLVED THAT American and coalition troops be
removed from Iraq immediately, turning over
responsibility for maintaining civil order and
security to the Iraqi people through their elected
government and to United Nations or other peacekeeping
forces with which the government of Iraq is able
negotiate support;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT during this period, the
American government  provide extensive financial aid
to support this peacekeeping effort and to pay for the
reconstruction of Iraq’s infrastructure as rapidly as
possible .

Please feel free to comment on the advisability of
taking such action and to recommend language
alterations prior to Sunday's meeting. Thanks.

4. Working Groups: (30 minutes)

Finances

Holiday Indoor Market at the Village in the Mall in
the Square

Main Event

AWARE Presents - November 29th

Counter-recruitment: IHSA playoffs

5. Last Week's Events (15 minutes for 5 and 6)

Wal-Mart Movie
AWARE Presents

6. Upcoming Events