[Peace-discuss] Letter to Bush from Franciscans

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 7 10:33:20 CDT 2005

Below is part of a letter that was sent to President Bush by
Franciscan (religious) orders. Keep in mind that Franciscans
vow to serve the poor and work for peace. On a weekly basis,
they serve literally hundreds of thousands of persons in
numerous countries overseas and the United States. Their view
and input is valued by many important international
organizations, and they cross boundaries that few other help
organizations can. A political statement from this group is
indeed a powerful statement.

The letter from the Franciscans says:
"Dear President Bush:
"[...] we write to you today with our deep distress and
concern for the current situation in Iraq and to express our
hope that we might embark on a new path.

"Our Franciscan religious commitment connects us to all those
who suffer.  The mounting deaths and casualties of U.S. and
coalition service men and women, Iraqis, and U.S. and
international civilians in Iraq fill us with anguish.  Though
the stated policy goal of the United States and Coalition
Forces to bring stability and democracy is laudable, our
prudential judgment leads us to believe that there is no
clear positive end that would result from the current course.

"Therefore, we humbly request that you provide the leadership
to work with Congress to:
• Publicly state a clear and measurable plan for the timely,
responsible and sustainable withdrawal of U.S. and coalition
forces from Iraq.
• Assume a clearly articulated U.S. foreign policy that
abandons the pre-emptive use of force by pursuing a path of
active diplomatic engagement and the use of non-violent
humane means of intervention with international partners.
• Uphold our stated national commitment to assist the Iraqi
people in the long-term project of rebuilding their nation.

"We would add that, for the sake of ending the tragic
suffering of the United States and coalition military forces
and the people of Iraq, these policies need to be pursued as
soon as possible.

"For our part, we pledge our commitment:
• To support and dialogue with those who are seeking policy
options in Iraq beyond the use of force and invite all to
consider the human cost of war.
• To pray for and pastorally support the service men and
women in harm’s way and their families remaining at home.  To
pray for the people of Iraq.  To pray for you, our U.S.
government officials, that you might have the strength and
courage to pursue non-violent policies that will lead to true
and lasting peace in Iraq and the wider world.

"With sincere gratitude we thank you for your efforts to
faithfully address our concerns.  May you be blessed with
peace and may there be peace in Iraq and all the world.

"Sincerely,"

and then it is signed by a large number of Franciscans.
Together they call themselves "Franciscan Family of the
United States"

Peace,
karen medina