[Peace-discuss] Bodies needed!

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 20 11:47:00 CDT 2005

I'm sending the following request from Mike Lehman to this
list because I'd like to see some AWARE involvement in WRFU
programming, and also because WRFU is a good cause. With
WEFT pretty much saturated, WRFU represents a really
significant new opportunity to get more alternate news on
the air.

I'm going to be at the 7:30 meeting, described below, tonight
in support of WRFU, and I urge as many AWARE folks as can
to show as well.

Bob
This Thursday at 7:30pm, the Urbana Plan Commission will consider WRFU's
request for a Special Use Permit to allow construction of the tower to
support WRFU's antenna. This meeting will be held in the Urbana City
Council chambers at 400 S. Vine, on the east side of Lincoln Square.

I will be there representing WRFU and the IMC, the fiscal sponsor of WRFU.

A show of support from the community will be very helpful. There have
been a few concerns about the tower expressed by neighbors to the IMC,
most of which I have tried to address in the last few days. Whenever
antennas are discussed, many have concerns about the appearance. The
WRFU tower was specifically designed to minimize its visual signature,
which is also important becuase the IMC building is a historically
significant building.

If you are someone who has a proposed show on WRFU and have been
wondering what a simple thing to do to start helping the station is,
simply showing up and being present at Thursday noght's meeting may be
what helps convince the Plan Commission to approve the Special Use
Permit. If you want to say a few words in the public comment part of the
meeting about why WRFU is important to you and the community that wants
to hear your show on the station, that would be even better. Most IMC
members can probably think of several reasons why WRFU will help the IMC
serve the community in various ways. In any case, you do not have to say
anything. Your presence alone would be a welcome show of support.

Please note that Thursday night is also the IMC Steering meeting, which
starts at 8pm. Since public comment is typically at the beginning of the
meeting, you can stop by the City Building, say a few words, and still
make it to the Steering meeting. I will need to stay to ensure that all
concerns are addressed and, hopefully, the special use permit is
approved. After this meeting, the permit has to be sent to the city
council for final approval, but the most important part of the process
is Thursday night's Plan Commission meeting.
See you there,
Mike Lehman