[Peace-discuss] Re: Guest Commentary

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 14:27:12 CDT 2005

I was off from my messenging job at the NG so I wasn't able to read the
article.  If somebody could e-mail me (or the list) the article in question,
it may be easier for some of us to voice our opinions.

But all that aside, if the debate is about taking Obama to task for his
pro-occupation/liberal warhawk ideology, then I'll throw my .02 into the
fracas.

While Al's point about not wanting to alienate people is good -- I think it
is very condescending to think that people would not be able to
differentiate between a legitimate criticism of a political figure and AWARE
being a group of racists.  Obama's position is no less objectionable to me
because of his race.  Overanalyzing effects of actions gets us nowhere
because any action taken is, without a doubt, going to cause somebody to
take offense.

I think if we increasingly put pressure on Timmy J, (Jerry Weller -- House
rep. from my home district), Durbin and Obama to come out with clear
positions against the occupation in Iraq, there is nothing that can be
construed as racist.  As long as the position taken is clearly articulated,
I believe that criticizing Obama for his stance would work.

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
            Neil

When the going gets Weird, the Weird turn pro.
[dr. hunter stockton thompson]

 We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.
[bill hicks]

Government is the Entertainment Division of the military industrial complex.
[frank zappa]

Neil Parthun || Senior, History Education || e-mail: parthun at uiuc.edu || my
writing: http://lennybrucefan.tripod.com <http://lennybrucefan.tripod.com/>