[Peace-discuss] Last night's meeting

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 12 17:14:13 CDT 2005

Linda,

First of all, this has nothing to do with debating the issues.  I am
all for that. And I am sure that we will never all agree. That is not
the problem.

I want to work with people that I trust.  I want people to respect each
other. We have agreed to meeting guidelines to address previous similar
problems, and I want everyone in the group to be civil.  I am not going
to sit there and have the person with the loudest voice pay no
attention whatsoever to the facilitator, and continually interrupt and
not let other people speak.  I know you missed that meeting, but that
is what happened.  And this is not the first time, although it is the
worst time.

I want people to understand that this work is serious, and that we
should not be addressing our internal debates or what has turned into
personal conflicts in the local newspaper.  I can't imagine why someone
would do that because it plays right into the hands of the right wing.
I can only hope that the whole group would feel the same way.  If I
can't expect that much, I don't see why I should continue to come to
these meetings.  We have to see each other in terms of solidarity.  We
can't treat each other like we are enemies.

  I am pissed that my words and intentions have been so twisted, and I
am not going to stand for it.  I don't understand why people see this
is terms of conflict resolution.  This is not an equal-sided conflict.
Several people were verbally attacked at that meeting.  I and I think
most of the others were trying to stick to the issues around strategy
and tactics.  Nobody that I know wanted to turn the meeting into a
personal contest.  And to then go and publish the thing in the
newspaper is just beyond my comprehension.

I have lost  sleep about this, and I have expended a lot of energy that
I should have been using for more productive purposes.

The group needs to say that such behavior is out of bounds.  The group
should demand an apology.  The group should get an assurance that this
kind of behavior is not going to happen again. That is what I want.
Thanks for asking.