[Peace-discuss] Eyes Wide Open: $1,000,000 in liability insurance

carol inskeep carolinskeep at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 08:08:08 CDT 2005

Folks,

This email is a bit complicated, and relates to two new financial demands in order to show Eyes Wide Open.

Yesterday afternoon I received two letters from the Champaign Park District:

- One stated that we need $1,000,000 in liability insurance in order to have Eyes Wide Open at both Douglass and West Side Park.
Note:  They do have standardized forms which require this amount which were sent to me yesterday, so we certainly aren't the only ones who've been required to get it.  However I have had my permit in hand since September 2 with no request for insurance.
I have 3 requests for estimates in and it looks like it will cost between $200 and $350; more of course, if we also need it for Carle Park.
Obviously, we are on a serious time crunch here because the letter required that I bring proof of Insurance by September 16 and bids take 24 hours or so.  I'm going to purchase the insurance out of pocket; Hopefully AWARE will be willing to pick up some or all of the cost.  AFSC has asked that donations collected on site go to supporting the exhibit, and we haven't paid anything to them for its use, or the time of the staff person who is driving it down.  So, perhaps folks will give it some thought...

- The second letter required an addition $100 if we plan to accept donations in the parks, as well as a "damage deposit" of $100.  Again I'll cover this out of pocket.  I'm assuming the first $100 of donations could reimburse me, then the rest go to AFSC.  Again, give it some thought and it can be discussed at the meeting.

Thanks,
cpi