[Peace-discuss] The last two weeks

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 15 08:35:32 CDT 2005

Without accepting the characterization, I'd like to discuss
the “question of really hostile and nasty behavior, both in
meetings and in [my] article in the News Gazette” -- which
seems to be meant rather specifically...

[1] “Carl ... was extremely mean and disrespectful to Carol.”
The last time I looked, Carol seemed to me to be a grown-up,
quite able to take care of herself rhetorically.  On the
evening in question she was trying to shape a discussion
(“Let's just have objective accounts...”) to an apparently
predetermined conclusion -- a condemnation of the Obama
demonstration.  But I take the people and the organization
involved in the discussion seriously enough not to be willing
to let that happen unanswered.

The basis for that condemnation -– never clearly expressed but
apparently drawn from Imani Bazell's screed against the Obama
demonstration the week before -– finally emerged explicitly in
the email exchanges: “we need to treat black politicians
differently than white politicians.” That, I would have been
happy to debate, because (under the general description of
identity politics) it is -- and has been for more that a
generation -- a serious danger to the American left (and,
curiously, only the American left).  That's why I wrote the
article.

[2] “...it struck me as very destructive to see Al quoted in
the News Gazette in a way that makes aware look clueless and
arrogant.” But of course you didn't see Al quoted in the
News-Gazette: you saw a line attributed to a discussion in an
anti-war group's open forum. In spite of Al's insistence that
the article was about him, it was in fact about a position
apparently held by some in AWARE and by many more outside it.
If the position is clueless and arrogant, that's all the more
reason it should be abandoned.

I don't see how the article “didn't represent the disagreement
accurately” (and it obviously wasn't “a personal slam”), but I
would be glad to be told, because I think the disagreement is
important.  From the truckling acceptance of Imani's rather
non-specific charges, through the complaints about leafleting
as being rude to the senator, to the assertion that quoting
his words is to demonize him -- that's been the covert point
of the argument, however much people (understandably) want to
avoid it. And I think it's dangerously wrong.  If there is “a
legitimate disagreement on tactics,” it surely could have been
“adequately discussed” in this forum or at subsequent
meetings: that hasn't been stopped by “shouting.”

But it does seem easier for people to claim that they've been
“trashed in public.”  Maybe I should try it.

Regards, Carl