[Peace-discuss] USG takes oppositon seriously

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 16 01:22:46 CDT 2005

   First Federal Conspiracy Trial of Anti-War Protesters
   Since Vietnam Begins Sept. 19
   9/15/2005 10:30:00 AM
   Contact: Tarik Abdelazim, 607-651-9109 (office) or
   607-239-1219 (cell), mailto:info at stpatricksfour.org

NEW YORK, Sept. 15 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Four peace activists
face up to eight years in federal prison and $275,000 fines
each for their non-violent protest of the Iraq war if
convicted of the federal charges filed against them in U.S.
District Court. The trial, which begins Sept. 19 in
Binghamton, N.Y., is the first time the Federal government
has pressed conspiracy charges against civilian Iraq war
protesters.

"Federal intervention in this case represents a blatant act
of government intimidation and will have a chilling effect
on expression of the first amendment rights of any citizen
to protest or speak out against their government," said Bill
Quigley, acclaimed public interest lawyer and law professor
at Loyola University School of Law, who is acting as legal
advisor to the defendants.

The St. Patrick's Four have been charged with "conspiracy to
impede an officer of the United States by threat,
intimidation and force" and other lesser charges for their
actions at their local military recruiting station on St.
Patrick's Day, March 17, 2003, two days before the US
military invasion of Iraq began.

A previous trial in county court on charges of criminal
mischief and trespassing resulted in a hung jury, with nine
of twelve members favoring acquittal.

The four peace activists, all parents and members of the
Ithaca Catholic Worker Movement, entered their local
military recruiting station, knelt, said a prayer for peace
and then carefully poured a small amount of their blood on
recruiting center posters, walls and flag to symbolize the
violence of war and the sanctity of life.

"International law demands that we try to avert our nation's
aggressive criminal behavior. If we do not, we become guilty
of the crimes of our nation," wrote the St. Patrick's four
in an Ithaca Journal Op-ed article. "We long for the day
when the killing of people upsets us as much as the sight of
blood poured on the flag."

In the evenings, concomitant with the first week of trial,
supporters of the St. Patrick's Four will host a "Citizen's
Tribunal On Iraq" which will present the legal, historical,
and moral defense for civil resistance to illegal war.

Speakers at the Citizen's Tribunal on Iraq include: Ray
McGovern, 27-year CIA analyst and advisor to Veteran
Intelligence Professionals for Sanity; Ann Wright, former
U.S. diplomat, who resigned after 30 years of service
because she disagreed with administration policy on Iraq;
Jon Bonifaz, constitutional lawyer and co-founder of
AfterDowningStreet.org; Medea Benjamin, co- founder of Code
Pink-Women for Peace and Global Exchange; Jimmy Massey,
co-founder of Iraq Veterans Against the War; Camilo Mejia,
Iraq war veteran who served nine months in confinement for
refusing to return to Iraq after a two-week leave; former
U.K. Environmental Minister, Michael Meacher, who resigned
from the Blair administration in protest of the Iraq war,
and many others.

For more information visit
http://www.StPatricksFour.org
http://www.usnewswire.com/

*****

   15-09-2005
   The St. Patrick Four: The feds confront
   the Anti-War Movement
   by James Petras
   Rebelión

On September 19 the first federal conspiracy trial of
civilian war resisters to the US invasion of Iraq will take
place in Binghamton, New York, a declining and decaying city
in upstate New York, 3 hours northwest of New York City.
This is the second trial of the "St Patrick Four" -- they
were acquitted a year earlier by a jury in Ithaca, New York
by a 9 to 3 vote in which the presiding Judge David Peeble
conceded that the four had represented themselves "probably
better than some of the attorneys that practice in this court."

The trial of the St. Pat Four has national significance
because it raises several fundamental issues regarding
constitutional freedoms and the Bush-Gonzalez ongoing
campaign to silence and intimidate dissent and public
expressions of opposition to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
The trial of the St. Pat Four will establish whether the
Federal Government can jail dissenters engaging in civil
disobedience for up to six years and fine them up to
$250,000 on feckless charges of "conspiracy to impede an
officer of the United States by threat, intimidation or
force". Even more ominous, in terms of the procedures for a
fair trial, the senior US District Judge for Northern New
York, Thomas McAvoy, has ruled that the defendants cannot
discuss the reasons and motivation for their action.
According to McAvoy, "This court offers no opinion on the
war in Iraq as it is entirely irrelevant to this matter ...
assuming an illegal war, it does not provide a
justification for violating the criminal laws of the United
States."

The trial is not only about the right to dissent but the
right of defendants to represent themselves and to secure
due process, through a proper defense in which all relevant
evidence can be presented to the jury. In true Kafkaesque
style -- the federal government seeks to criminalize
dissent, by inventing a bogus accusation of conspiracy and
intimidation of federal officials.

There was nothing conspiratorial or intimidating about the
act of civil disobedience committed by the "Four". On March
17, 2003, two days before the invasion of Iraq, four
pacifists, members of the Catholic Workers movement, walked
into a military recruiting center near Ithaca, New York and
poured a pint of their own blood around the vestibule. They
then knelt down, prayed for peace and awaited the police.
There were no secret plots: it was a public act about which
there was nothing threatening to the officials unless
sending a divine message of peace can be interpreted as
evoking the wrath of heaven on the war makers. During their
April 2004 trial on charges of criminal mischief and
trespassing the four defendants' eloquent testimony
resonated with the local citizen's jury. Peter De Mott, a
Vietnam veteran spoke to his witnessing the horrors of war
and the long-term psychological scars on returning soldiers.
Danny Burns explained how the US invasion of Iraq was in
violation of international treaties and the UN Charter.
Clare and Teresa Grady spoke to their religious obligation
to oppose the Iraq war which would disproportionately harm
infants who posed no threat to US security.

Having failed to secure a conviction of the "Four" in a
local court, the Bush Administration upped the ante from
criminal mischief to the far more serious charge of
conspiracy and intimidation charges and moved the venue of
the second trial away from the sympathetic university town
of Ithaca to Binghamton, a city which has lost 30% of its
workforce due to capital flight over the past 25 years. The
Feds are betting that a guilty verdict in Binghamton will
establish a judicial precedent for intimidating and
prosecuting anti-war dissidents throughout the US.

Despite outward appearances, the choice of Binghamton, a
depressed, de-industrialized, non-union upstate city, as a
docile venue for a federal 'show trial' could backfire. This
July, the Binghamton City Council passed a resolution
opposing the Iraq War by a 5 to 4 vote and the city has
consistently provided a majority of votes for Congressman
Maurice Hinchey, one of the most progressive anti-war
representatives in the US Congress. During the past
Presidential elections, Nader got over 10% of the vote in
some Binghamton precincts. In other words, despite the
visible and vocal presence of right-wing Legionnaires, it is
not a forgone conclusion that the jury will buy into a
guilty verdict, especially since its neighbors in Ithaca
voted to acquit the "Four" last year.

To counter the Feds gag order on the defendants, local
supporters of the St. Pat Four have organized a national
network of solidarity and education through a five-day
Citizens Tribunal on Iraq. The Tribunal will hear expert
testimony on the illegality of the invasion and occupation
of Iraq as well as a legal and moral defense of civil
disobedience to oppose crimes against humanity.

Former CIA agent, Ray McGovern, Global Exchange director,
Medea Benjamin, anti-war soldier, Camilo Mejia and many
other critics of the war have accepted the invitation to
participate in panels to counter the pro-war case of the
government and local media.

The city of Binghamton is a microcosm of the increasingly
polarized country; the outcome of the trial in this obscure
corner of New York however will have a major impact on
whether the Bush Administration will have the judicial
weapons to intimidate the opposition and proceed with its
war plans or suffer another defeat in the courts as well as
in the streets.

September 9, 2005

For information on the trial of the St. Patrick Four and the
Tribunal and to organize support visit the website
http://www.stpatricksfour.org or call 607-651-9109.

*****

   'St. Patrick's Four' Speak in Church
   September 15, 2005
   by Brian Kaviar
   Cornell Daily Sun Staff Writer

At St. Catherine of Siena Parish Center in Cayuga Heights
last night, the "St. Patrick's Four" spoke along with Sister
Marilyn Pray of Sisters of St. Joseph of Rochester at an
event titled "Civil Disobedience and Catholic Teaching." The
Four, local members of the Catholic Workers movement, await
federal trial in Binghamton this Monday for entering a local
military recruitment center and pouring their own blood
around the vestibule two days before the start of the
current Iraq War.

The event aimed to discuss the events of March 17, 2003 for
which the Four await trial, as well as the larger role of
non-violent civil resistance within the Catholic tradition
and the Catholic Worker movement, a group founded in 1933
and noted for its efforts to protest war as well as the
unequal distribution of wealth.

If convicted, the Four face up to six years in prison and
$275,000 in fines.

After a few words from Sister Mary O'Brien, pastoral
associate at St. Catherine and the event's facilitator,
Sister Pray presented passages of scripture and catechism,
relating the Catholic tradition to social activism for the
crowd of roughly 50 people.

"Civil disobedience should be an act of awareness raising,
consciousness raising. It shouldn't be something done for
ego or power or something like that. It should reveal ego,
power, corruption, wrongful use of money," she said. "It
should be a revelation and a calling."

The Four believe there is legal justification for their
actions, as they explain in a press release. "At the time
[the Four] went to the recruiting center, the U.S. was about
to invade Iraq," it stated. "This invasion was a violation
of international law, to which the U.S. is bound through the
6th amendment and the Constitution, which says that treaties
of the U.S. are the supreme law of the land and judges and
public officials are bound by them. Specifically, the U.S.
was in violation of the U.N. Charter which outlaws wars of
aggression."

The Four also cite the Nuremburg Principles, New York state
law that provides for the violation of a law to prevent a
greater harm, as well as the possibility of jury
nullification, what the Four describe as "the right of a
jury to rule according to its conscience."

After a brief introduction, Daniel Burns, the first of the
Four to speak, said, "I am very happy to be in a Catholic
church speaking about this. This is the first time in all of
this that we have been, at least that I have been, actually
invited to speak to a Catholic group. So, thank you, it's
good to be home." Similar sentiments were expressed by the
remaining members of the Four: Teresa Grady, Peter DeMott
and Clare Grady.

"I went to that recruiting center and I poured my own blood
on the walls around it. It was an empty room. All the
writings in that room were all clear, in English with proper
grammar, but not one mentioned the fact that if you come in
this room and you sign up you will be taught to kill," Burns
said. "If you are not defending yourself, it is a crime and
a sin [to kill]. So I went in there to bring a message, a
message of love and a message of the legality of the war in
the Iraq to the recruiters and the potential recruits."

"The blood on the wall was made visible by our visit, but it
was there before we got there. And I only wish more people
could have gone with us to do it," he said.

Teresa Grady read from the statement the Four presented the
day of their protest, which concluded with, "We find hope in
these dark times when sisters and brothers around the world
resist the spirit of hatred and violence, lift up prayers
for peace -- together with works of peace. And that is what
we read as we knelt down after pouring our blood on the
walls of the marine and army recruiting center, and our hope
continues."

Teresa Grady also said that the Four hope to have productive
dialogue result from their actions. "We prayed even at that
last second that President Bush would experience a change of
heart and conscience and issue a stop to the invasion. But
as we know, the president did not. And now we are two and a
half years into this war and there is no end in sight,"
DeMott said.

Clare Grady discussed scripture as well as her experiences
as a relief worker in Iraq before the current war began,
experiences which have led her to see the present conflict
not as a new war, but an "escalation" of one that had
already been going on.

After the Four spoke, a brief question and answer session
followed.

Ithaca resident Dan O'Connell shared his experiences
protesting recruiting centers in malls around his former
home in Oregon. He has continued this form of protest,
standing in silence outside the recruiting center in Ithaca.

John Del Gaizo '07 thought the meeting helped him understand
the Four's viewpoint. "They looked at the Iraqi people like
their own family, something that is a big part of the
Catholic faith."

"It was pretty amazing that they were able to stay so calm,
so relaxed and high-spirited despite the potential
consequences of their actions" he said. "I don't feel my
opinions on the war changed, but they made me feel more
sympathy for the Iraqi people."

The event was sponsored by Catholic Charities of Tompkins
County as well as St. Catherine of Siena Church. Numerous
events will be held by the Four during their federal trial
in Binghamton as part of a "Citizen's Trial on Iraq."

*****