[Peace-discuss] for cosponsorship discussion

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 18 10:52:54 CDT 2005

For the speaker we are asked to cosponsor, I just dug
up a little info on his organization.  Thought it
would be helpful to folks in deciding cosponsorship.

They look good to me.  Also, the South Asian
Collective (who are the main sponsors) are good folks
- been out to anti-war demos, etc.  Very 'aware' :-)

Ricky

NATIONAL ALLIANCE OF PEOPLES MOVEMENTS AT THE WORLD
SOCIAL FORUM
Appeal to join in solidarity towards transformation

Dear Friends,
The devastative impacts of the free flowing global
capital all over the world, expropriating the world's
resources is, by now, well realized and recorded too.
As a result of the policies, those in the subsistence
economy living on the natural resources, along with
the organized sections, including those managing the
public services and production - distribution
processes in the various countries are facing eviction
from their livelihood and natural resources. The worst
affected being the world's poor. There is no aspect of
life and no section of a country's population that can
go unaffected by the upheaval caused by the capital
and market-based paradigm and the corporatised polity.

In India, the dalits (socially disadvantaged in the
casteist society), adivasis (tribals), women and the
labour class have waged battles against this
neo-imperialism. They have been challenging the
corrupt, criminal politics and the State that is
subservient to the hegemonic oppression of so-called
'global' agencies: may it be the World Bank or the
WTO. They also have to simultaneously fight the ethnic
forces, the politics not just dividing but leading
people into caste and religion-based massacres. This
has been communalising every sector and aspect of
life, thriving on the social disintegration, economic
deprivation and identity crisis resulting out of the
politico-economic onslaught faced by the increasing
number of people in this largest democracy not worth
the name. Such struggle thus has necessarily been on
multiple fronts, from the local environs-human and
Nature, at the same time redefining the 'national',
and challenging the 'global' powers. Various mass
based people's organisation, the people's movements
are carrying the torch perseveringly with an
alternative vision as also alternative strategies.

The National Alliance of People's Movements (NAPM), as
most of you know, is such an attempt towards building
a people's political force, outside the electoral
politics that can counter the forces of destruction,
inequality and exploitation and realize the values of
equity, justice, peace and non-violence. With
Gandhian, Marxist and Ambedkarian perspectives brought
together, the people's movements in India have been
shaping up a new praxis on the basis of their
struggles and constructive work on alternatives. This
New Ideology strives for the radical changes in the
production processes, technologies along with
social-individual consumption patterns. Further, for
it, the economic growth, democratic values and
sustainability are equivalent and inevitable
components of development. The NAPM has tried to
follow an ideological framework that strengthens the
people's struggles for life and livelihood, by the
agriculturists including agricultural labourers,
adivasis - the indigenous populations, Dalits, fisher
people, toiling women or the industrial workers and
others, and people's development and the people's
politics.

It's in this context that NAPM has participated at the
World Social Forum in Porto Alegre as also the Asian
Social Forum in Hyderabad. Knowing fully the critique
of these efforts by such forums by some fellow
organisations, NAPM tried to gain and widen the space
for people's movements and raised the issues regarding
transparency to accountability, including involvement
of certain corporate funding agencies in the WSF
processes. Being in the process and the structure
(committees) to the extent possible for mass-based
movements, with our own pace and limited resources
with unlimited challenges, we could seek answers and
evolve consensus on the issues raised. The committees
and various groups at work responded. We could demand
from within and get allotted, space for people's
movements. While there are still certain doubts to
resistance with respect to WSF-India, on the part of
some expressed through articles and actions, there is
no doubt in our mind that such international unity and
solidarity among widest possible range of
organizations that form a part of civil society, is
the minimum basic necessary to be able to stand up and
question the world level violent attack of the
capitalists-communal-criminal nexus.

It's towards this end, that we have been a part of the
unique phenomenon that is World Social Forum, which
has created a hope for the widest possible human
alliance for a just, pluralist, secular, peaceful
alternative world and humanity. (The political
consciousness it expresses can go a long way.)

NAPM plans to organize, with other collaborating
organizations, conference, panel/s, seminar/s and also
mobilize people in the regions where movements work
and in Mumbai. While some of our allies are a part of
the India organizing committee, others have preferred
to participate at the India working council level. The
National Coordinator of NAPM is a member of the
International Council although in her capacity as a
founder activist of Narmada Bachao Andolan and
convenor of the Strategy Commission (a subgroup
created at Miami). Not all those in the movement could
do justice to the responsibility as committee members
due to being engrossed in struggles but have faith in
the others carrying out various roles with some of our
representatives. All the efforts at various levels, we
believe would be complimentary. Two of our allies,
fisher people and agricultural labourers have decided
to mobilize mass-strength in order to project the
plight and struggle of their communities, in the
context of the anti-people policies denying them right
to live, on the January 19, on one of the days when
WSF-India would be on. All these efforts, we sincerely
hope will further the process of building a world
level movement for solidarity and cooperation. NAPM
appreciates the concern expressed by some of
common-thinking networks and organizations in India
and abroad as regards the future of WSF and the role
of NGOs and movements. We sincerely hope that those
will get due space and time for deliberations within
the WSF and NAPM would be able to contribute to the
same.
NAPM has registered itself, as a member of the India
Working Council, and will hold a number of panels,
seminars, cultural event and other items. We have
approached various organizations and individual
resource persons to collaborate. Our international
allies, we hope, would also participate in the Rural
Trip we have announced preceding the main Forum. With
WSF being held in Mumbai, a megalopolis, we look
forward to the international partners in the global
struggle to visit the places of people's struggles as
well as reconstructive work on the alternatives in
various sectors. A detailed programme and schedule of
the panels / seminars to be organized by NAPM with
others as well as that of the Rural Trip proposed
(including letter of invitation, tour details,
requisition form) and estimated expenditure is
enclosed herewith (in this message).

Do convey to us your comments, suggestions and enroll
with us for participation in trip
Let us know if you or any other group in interested in
joining the cultural event. Feel free to propose names
of resource persons and organizations that would wish
to collaborate with us during the events planed at
WSF.

Every suggestion and comment would help us plan
better. Our motto is to raise the people's issues and
take up the perspective of people's movements onto the
World Social Forum.
Our commitment is to strengthen the unity of all who
dare fight the global powers and endeavour towards
realization of the alternative vision.

We appeal to you all, our friends, to join us and let
us know you are with us, as an ally, in whichever
capacity with whatever contribution.
Awaiting an early response.