[Peace-discuss] Obama Endorsement

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 09:26:14 CDT 2005

We'll see if Obama continues to exercise "humility and
restraint" as New Orleans is reconstructed to exclude
blacks.

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE (LETTER)
Voice of reason emerges from Katrina's chaos

Dan Hynes, Comptroller
State of Illinois
Published September 23, 2005

This is in reaction to "Judicious Obama turns up
volume" (News, Sept. 12ok), which points to the
significance of Sen. Barack Obama's (D-Ill.) decision
to speak out in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina
after following a deliberately cautious and low-key
approach previously.

Given the indisputable fact that Katrina has had a
disproportionate impact on the poor and on
African-Americans, I believe it was both prudent and
necessary for Obama to step forward.

But, more important, the fact that he has shown
himself to be a voice of reason and man of judicious
temperament in the past makes him the perfect
spokesman and conciliator in what might otherwise be
an irreparably divisive debate about race relations,
wealth disparities and crisis management in America.

In short I, for one, am glad we have Sen. Barack
Obama.

Some might find it hard to believe that I uttered the
words of the last sentence, considering I had hoped to
hold the Senate seat he now holds but was defeated by
him in the primary election of March 2004. But
actually it is my loss to Obama that perhaps causes me
to apply even closer scrutiny to his first-year
performance as our junior senator. And I must say,
this is not the first time that I have observed with a
high degree of respect how well he has handled himself
in his new role--a role never before seen in politics.

To point out the obvious, he is not your typical
freshman senator. He cannot walk down the street
without being mobbed for handshakes and autographs,
and I am sure there is constant pressure to jump out
in front of every issue. He handles the fame with
humility, and the pressure to grandstand with great
restraint.

Humility and restraint: two qualities that will be
invaluable in someone who should lead the debate that
must take place about the failings of our government's
response to Katrina, and the chilling realities that
were uncovered relating to the inequities that exist
in American society.

Copyright © 2005, Chicago Tribune