[Peace-discuss] Second thoughts in the UK

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 23 21:37:27 CDT 2005

[From the British paper The Independent, an interesting
account of pundits and writers who've changed their minds.
Even more interesting is that the Stickies say that the reason
is that "the Iraqis want us there" -- which is demonstrably
false.  --CGE]

  Hawks who've had second thoughts...
  Published: 24 September 2005

Boris Johnson, 'Spectator' editor and Tory MP

WHAT HE SAID THEN: "It [the war in Iraq] will mean the
enforcement of the will of the UN, it will make the world a
better place for the removal of Saddam Hussein and, above all,
it will make the world better for the Iraqis he oppresses."
(March 2003)

WHAT HE SAYS NOW: "Whatever we achieve in Iraq we will not
have made our own world safer, or made the risk of terrorism
less likely: quite the reverse."

Max Hastings, Historian

WHAT HE SAID THEN: "Tony Blair has taken a brave decision,
that the only hope of influencing American behaviour is to
share in American actions." (March 2003)

WHAT HE SAYS NOW: "I have changed my own mind about Iraq.
Today it seems almost impossible to believe that our
open-ended presence is achieving anything... Whatever the
Americans decide to do in Iraq, the British should start
planning their withdrawal."

Geraldine Smith, Labour MP

WHAT SHE SAID THEN: Voted with the Government in authorising
the war in 2003. But changed position with the publication of
the Butler Inquiry in July 2004.

WHAT SHE SAYS NOW: "The situation appears to be deteriorating
by the day. The Government has to think seriously about how
long we are in Iraq. A firm date ... would help concentrate
people's minds in Iraq. I'm not sure the British presence is
helping the situation."

Col Tim Collins, Former battle group commander

WHAT HE SAID THEN: (In a speech to troops the night before the
attack) "We are entering Iraq to free a people and the only
flag that will be flown in that ancient land is their own." He
said Saddam's men would be "destroyed for what they have done".

WHAT HE SAYS NOW: "We need to get out of Iraq, the entire
Western force. But if we leave too quickly it would stay with
us for generations."

Frederick Forsyth, Author

WHAT HE SAID THEN: "If you said George Bush has decided to
invade a country miles from his home which doesn't threaten
him, then you have to be insane. I think Saddam has lied and I
think they know he has lied." (January 2003)

WHAT HE SAYS NOW: "I have changed my mind because Tony Blair
lied to Parliament and has continued to lie to the country."

Johann Hari, 'Independent' columnist

WHAT HE SAID THEN: "The only moral factor in this war should
be the Iraqi people, and their needs - and the Iraqi people's
greatest need is for our help to get rid of one of the worst
dictators on earth." (February 2003)

WHAT HE SAYS NOW: "It [is] becoming impossible to defend the
invasion... Is there still a justification for 100,000 deaths
and $200bn of spending, or am I clutching at bloody straws?"

...and the ones who still back the war

Charles Moore, Former 'Telegraph' editor

WHAT HE SAID THEN: "If the conflict is between extremists who
hate the West and the political and cultural values that all
European nations claim to share, why is it so wrong?" (January
2003)

WHAT HE SAYS NOW: "In one sense nothing has changed and so we
have to make it work because the Iraqi people want us to stay.
If [we] leave now then there would be a real danger of a civil
war."

Nicholas Boles, Think-tank chief

WHAT HE SAID THEN: "There are several... important reasons
[to] go to war: upholding the authority of the UN; the duty to
protect Iraq's neighbour; and liberating the Iraqi people from
tyranny." (February 2003)

WHAT HE SAYS NOW:

"Of course I am as nervous as everyone else. But I believe we
must not weaken our resolve. [We are] in it for five or 10 years."

William Shawcross, Author

WHAT HE SAID THEN: "There are times when the use of force is
essential in the pursuit of peace." (February 2003)

WHAT HE SAYS NOW: "I still think we are in Iraq for the right
reasons. The recent events in Basra do not justify pulling out
the British troops. The Iraqi people still want us there."

  ###