[Peace-discuss] Inconsistency

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 26 11:30:32 CDT 2005

Carl, most people (probably all people) are inconsistent.
If we reject folks legitimacy because of serious
inconsistencies in their positions, we'd have to throw
Jefferson, Adams and Lincoln (and every other source of
the ideas that make our nation valuable) into the trash
heap. I'm not at all prepared to do this.

I grant that Obama has serious contradictions in his
positions. I do not think that this is a reason to reject
him out of hand. You heard the same town meeting I did. You
heard Obama speak strongly against the invasion and occupation
of Iraq. This is a step in the right direction.

We might say "Well, Mr. Jefferson, we see that although
you wrote in favor of universal human rights, you held
slaves. So you are am imposter, Mr. Jefferson, and we
can say nothing good about you." I believe that this would
be arrogant, harmful, and harmful precisely because it
is arrogant. I do not claim that Obama is at all comparable
to Jefferson, but I do believe that he deserves the benefit
of the doubt, as did Jefferson.

Bob