[Peace-discuss] Re: Obama brochure; AWARE misc and consensus

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 26 17:34:39 CDT 2005

Come on, Jenifer.  There was nothing inappropriate in the
column (not a letter) that ran in the News-Gazette.  And it
had (in Henry Kissinger's words) the added advantage of being
true. No one has indicated that they find anything false in
that column.

It's true that some people are quite properly embarrassed
about opinions entertained in AWARE -- viz., that black
politicians should be treated differently from white
politicians -- but that opinion was one of the targets of the
column.  (The other was Obama's politics, particularly on the
war.)

You seem to be suggesting a version of what Republicans used
to call the 11th commandment -- do not speak ill of your
party.  But if we substitute AWARE for the goals of AWARE,
we've made a big mistake.

The anti-war movement represents a lot of people moving in the
same direction, often by different routes. Serious discussion
about the route is surely in order, and differences will
remain.  But we shouldn't mistake people going in the opposite
direction (e.g., John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama)
for allies.  Cindy Sheehan has done a lot this summer to make
that clear.

Regards, Carl