[Peace-discuss] Candid Sheehan, equivocal senators

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 29 11:15:22 CDT 2005

[From ABC's The Note, a note about the ABCs of senatorial
candor.  --CGE]

...Cindy Sheehan called Sen. John McCain a "warmonger," after
her meeting with him [Tuesday].

Sens. George Allen (R-VA) and Dick Durbin (D-IL) squared off
on MSNBC's "Hardball" on Tuesday.

Chris Matthews ... told Durbin that at least Allen's party had
a position on the war, prompting Durbin to shake his head in
disgust when he thought he was off camera.

Durbin would not directly answer Matthews' "yes or no"
question about whether the war in Iraq was a mistake.

After Durbin criticized the lack of allies and the lack of a
plan to secure the peace, Allen said: "We're not on the side
of terrorists who are blowing up" shopping malls and schools.

Allen's insinuation that the Democrats were on the side of the
terrorists prompted Durbin to say, "Neither are we! Neither
are we!" about the Democrats, as the segment ended.

Also appearing on "Hardball" Tuesday was Newsweek's Howard
Fineman who gushed over another 2008 presidential hopeful:
Sen. John McCain (R-AZ).

Fineman described McCain as "perfect" on Iraq: He wants more
troops. And he meets with Cindy Sheehan. "Perfect," Fineman
gushed...