[Peace-discuss] A correspondent writes

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 4 01:07:26 CDT 2006

[Given that the population of the U.S. is approaching three
hundred million, Yoshie is calling here for French-style
demonstrations of 7-15 million Americans.  In C-U, we'd only
have to turn out 3-5,000 to do our part.  --CGE]

"The population of France is about 60 million.  On 18 March,
about 1.5 million French students and workers protested, and
on 28 March, about 3 million of them did so.  That's about
2.5-5% of the French population, and yet the country is
already nearly ungovernable.  So, the question is, what does
it take to get 2.5-5% of Americans to get mad as hell and *act
like French protesters* (as opposed to demonstrate every six
months or so, without shutting down a single city)?"  --Yoshie
Furuhashi