[Peace-discuss] Obama's support for the right

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 10 15:26:08 CDT 2006

[Jeff St. Clair writes] So Barack Obama may have been raising
$$ for a Lieberman to run outside the party against an antiwar
Democrat! Why don't anti-war Dems ever threaten to run as Indies?

   Lieberman Won't Rule Out Independent Bid
   By STEPHEN SINGER
   ASSOCIATED PRESS

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Sen. Joe Lieberman, facing a challenge
from within the Democratic Party for renomination, said Monday
he has not ruled out seeking a fourth term as an independent.

"I have not foreclosed the option," Lieberman said at a news
conference at the Connecticut state Capitol. "If I wanted to
run as an independent, I would. I'm running as a Democrat.
I've been a Democrat all my life."

Ned Lamont, a Democratic activist and anti-war candidate from
Greenwich, is challenging Lieberman for the party's nomination
this year. He has been garnering support from some Connecticut
Democrats dissatisfied with Lieberman's support of the war in
Iraq and his perceived closeness with President Bush's
administration.

The party will endorse a candidate at a convention on May 20.

Lieberman said he is not upset with fellow Democrats for
opposing the war in Iraq. He, too, has criticized certain
operations of the war and the Bush administration's handling
of postwar Iraq, he said.

"I feel very strongly the world is safer without Saddam
Hussein in power. We have to complete the job in Iraq,"
Lieberman said.

He asked that Democrats not solely judge him on the war, but
also his record on the environment, economic development and
his support for civil rights and civil liberties, he said.

Republican Paul Streitz who is seeking his party's nomination
to challenge for the Senate seat, said he would gain if
Lieberman runs as an independent.

"A Republican would win, obviously," he said. "It would split
the Democratic vote."

Lieberman was in Hartford Monday to speak at a conference on
global warming, and his critics also were there.

Keith Crane, a member of the Branford Democratic Town
Committee, stood outside the conference room, holding a sign
that said, "Some of my best friends are neo-cons."

Crane, who said he backs Lamont, will be a delegate at the
state Democratic convention.

"I worked my butt off to be a delegate and he says if he
doesn't get the nomination, he'll be an independent," he said
of Lieberman. "He's not here for the environment. He's here
for the political environment."

Howard L. Reiter, chairman of the political science department
at the University of Connecticut, said an incumbent senator
running without a party is not unprecedented.

Sen. Thomas Dodd was censured by the U.S. Senate in 1967 for
financial misconduct and was denied renomination by the
Democratic Party, which backed Joseph Duffey. Dodd ran as an
independent and lost the general election to Republican Lowell
Weicker, who was defeated by Lieberman in 1988.

"That's the precedent, but you have to go back 36 years,"
Reiter said.

Lieberman, his party's vice presidential nominee in 2000,
unsuccessfully sought the presidential nomination four years
later.