[Peace-discuss] Becoming what you hate

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 16:02:36 CDT 2006

I agree with you; vengeance is pernicious. Sometimes conflicts are
perpetuated by vengeance; sometimes there are real grievances which
need to be addressed; sometimes both are the case.

In the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, there are real grievances that
need to be addressed. There is also vengeance. We should eschew the
vengeance, but not fail to address the real grievances.

On 4/13/06, Bob Illyes <illyes at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Good point, "another Bob." Vengeance comes all too easily into
> conflicts, and then you become what you hate. If we demonize
> all soldiers for the sins of some, we are no better than the
> folks who keep the Israeli-Palestinian conflict going thanks
> to the same sort of thinking.
>
> Bob

RN