[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Fwd: Affirmative Action speaker

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 14 14:07:45 CDT 2006

[Poet and novelist Ishmael Reed writes as follows of Ward Connerly and
the people whom he represents.  --CGE]

...even Shelby Steele isn't as popular with the right as Ward Connerly
who is so firmly associated with proposition 209, the measure that ended
Affirmative Action in California, that lazy journalists claim he started
the drive that led to its being passed. He didn't. He was brought on
when the real sponsors suffered a lapse in their notion of a color-blind
society long enough to realize that a black face on their proposition
would aide in its adoption. Before Connerly came on, the proposition was
failing. (One of the two white founders of the proposition said that he
did so because a woman got the job that he was qualified for (Lydia
Chavez, the author of "The Color Bind: The Campaign to End Affirmative
Action" Paperback, April 1998) an excellent book about the sinister
maneuvering that led to proposition 209 says the woman has never been
found.)

Connerly, viewed as by the media as as martyr who braved the scorn of
his black accusers to follow his conscience, only agreed to support the
proposition if its supporters raised $500,000. Newt Gingrich helped to
raise the money. He was also supported financially by President
Clinton's nemesis Richard Mellon Scaife. Rupert Murdoch contributed
200,00 dollars and the Pioneer fund contributed thirty five thousand
dollars to the campaign to end Affirmative Action in California, so that
now Duke University and "Ole Miss" have a higher black enrollment than
the University of California and California State University.

In his book, The Nazi Connection, Stefan Kuhl says that "Today, the
Pioneer Fund is the most important financial supporter of research
concerning the connection between race and heredity in the United
States." Its largest contributor, until the 1960s, was textile magnate
Wickliffe Draper, who worked with the United States House Un-American
Activities Committee to demonstrate that blacks were genetically
inferior and ought to be 'repatriated' to Africa."

The Pioneer Fund also supported Charles Murray's "The Bell Curve," the
book beloved by publications that hate Minster Louis Farrakhan so much.
In this book, Charles Murray floats some of the same stereotypes about
blacks that were once aimed at his Scots-Irish ancestors.

Another supporter was Andrew Sullivan, who came to the attention of the
mainstream electronic media after he did such a good job bashing blacks
at the New York Times Magazine section, which describes blacks as
cannibals and crack addicts.

Obviously Ward Connerly, who has made millions from being associated
with proposition 209, is supported by such ultra right individuals and
groups that he has been reluctant to list his contributors...