[Peace-discuss] Who are we to them?

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 12:15:54 CDT 2006

Isn’t complete belief in your government the ideal?  Isn’t that what we all want? Are we ever taught that it is not possible? Isn’t that belief what being a “good citizen” is all about? And don’t we all want to be good citizens?

  I know people who actually believe what our government tells them.

  I assume that school children are taught that the patriotic thing to do is to support and believe in the government. My memory isn’t that great, but I think that is how it was with me.

  I know families who see the job prospects for their kids as so dismal that they hope and pray that their kids can be Marines. They consider the pay and benefits to be great – much better than MacDonald’s.

  I know that once a person is a member of the armed forces tremendous, tremendous brainwashing and pressure is applied to justify everything the government does.

  I know people who have a close relative in the service and therefore feel compelled to support that relative by denying any possible wrongdoing by the government.

  And I go back to the first case, where a person simply believes what our government tells them. Often quite innocently, thinking to do less is simply not patriotic, or being a good citizen. Especially regarding foreign policy and terrorism.

  In short, a lot of people who go to war, or simply support the war, think they are doing the right thing, perhaps a holy thing. We think they have been misled and lied to, but who are we to them? We are simply people who have been misled and lied to, while they have truth.

  And what loving parent would not lie, torture, or even kill to save their child?

  We should be careful about condemning someone for believing their government, and therein lays our problem. Especially with brainwashed returning vets, many who believe that they were fighting the people behind 9/11..

  Its all in what you believe. Its easy (and I think counter-productive,) to fault people for their beliefs, but much more difficult to change them.

  To many, WE are simply a small brainwashed cult. They truly believe the government, and that makes everything OK, perhaps even noble.

  Right, Mr. Bambenek?

GEORGE W. BUSH - MAKING TERRORISTS FASTER THAN HE CAN KILL THEM!

IF YOU SUPPORT BUSH'S WAR, WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE??

IF YOU'RE NOT OUTRAGED, YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION!