[Peace-discuss] AWARE Minutes, April 16, 2006

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 21:07:03 CDT 2006

AWARE Minutes, April 16, 2006

Facilitator: Bob Illyes

Minutes: David Green

1. News of the Week (posted separately)

2. Introductions

3. New Ideas:

Farmers Market: They are offering smaller lots this
year (6x10), too small for our canopy, but an umbrella
will do. If we sign up for the season, it will cost
$135 (including 10% discount), beginning May 13th. We
would not have to be there early, but could set up at
our leisure. Bob Illyes will investigate sharing a
space with WRFU (Mike Lehman), in order to use the
canopy.

Quad Day: This was today. Thanks to volunteers,
especially Karen Medina and whoever else helped out.

ICPJ Tool: Jan Kruse gave AWARE’s support for two
events: National Mobilization of Jobs with Justice
(April 29, Chicago); and Kathy Kelly’s walk from
Springfield to Chicago, passing through Pekin where
she was imprisoned (May 27th). The Illinois Coalition
for Peace and Justice has a website tool that offers
groups in the region such as ours the opportunity to
co-sponsor and publicize events, as well as
participate.

Palestine Awareness Week: The possibility of making a
small contribution to Arab Students Association was
discussed, will be returned to next week. Events will
be all this week at 7 in Gregory Hall 223, as well as
a Friday music/social event at McKinley.

Public Access: Randall Cotton reported on the
possibility of a new and more authentic, fulltime
cable access channel, as part of a franchise renewal
agreement, being devoted solely to public access,
which is not the case now with Channel 5, and only
marginally with Channel 6. This has already been
accepted by Urbana, and in 3 weeks will be considered
by Champaign (May 9th, Tuesday). Folks are encouraged
to attend this session of the Champaign City Council.
Durl Kruse reported that as much as $300,000 more
could be accessed by a $2% increase in cable fees.

Returning Troops: It may be considered at future
meetings how AWARE might respond to the return of
local troops within the next few weeks.

4. Working Groups:

Finances: $2,221

Cunningham Township and Champaign Township Referenda:

Congratulations for getting this on the ballot,
especially to Durl Kruse for doing the research. At
future meetings we will discuss how to publicize and
campaign for passage. For now, letters to the editor
will be helpful.

Main Event: Next event, May 6th, 2-4 (perhaps
including fliers supporting referenda against war and
in favor of impeachment)

AWARE Presents:

Plans for Anna Baltzer (May 11-12) are proceeding,
first at the Church of Christ, then at the Mosque on
Friday evening.

Carl is working on a staged reading by the AWARE
players of “What I Heard About Iraq.” He also
suggested revitalizing the AWARE Speakers Bureau, to
make our members available to speak around town to
community groups.

Church Presence: A successful if contested presence
was held at the Newman Center/St. John’s on Palm
Sunday. A public forum may result from post-presence
negotiations between Carl Estabrook and Msgr.
Swetland. The next event may be held at the Vineyard,
either on Mother’s Day (May 14th) or May 7th.

Courtwatch: Meetings are held Saturdays at 4 at IMC.
There was an event today (Tuesday).

5. Last Week’s Events:

Steven Hartnett at FridayForum, who has co-authored a
book with Laura Stengrim of the Public I, talking
about the Military Industrial Complex.

Walden Bello, talking about the global justice
movement and the problem of the WTO.

Misha Glenny on the Balkans (WILL interview available
online).

6. Next Week Events:

Jeffrey St. Clair, Grand Theft Pentagon, Gregory Hall
317, Wednesday, 7:30. Also on WEFT from 9 to 10. He
will be preceded on WEFT by Noam Chomsky discussing
the threat of nuclear catastrophe.

On Thursday at 4, there will be a panel at IPRH, 805
W. Pennsylvania Ave., on the consequences of Abu
Ghraib, moderated by Steve Hartnett.