[Peace-discuss] letter in today's DI

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 12:44:11 CDT 2006

Letter: Sovereignty to the people
Issue date: 4/19/06 Section: Opinions

I accept the fact that The Daily Illini editorial board is currently
controlled by the ideological soulmates of the Orange and Blue
Observer. To the victor go the spoils.
But I was still stunned by the DI's editorial lambasting Champaign and
Urbana residents who showed up at local township meetings to
successfully advocate the placing of advisory referenda on the fall
ballot advocating the withdrawal of United States military forces from
Iraq. The DI claims that the Iraq war is "out of our jurisdiction."
Excuse me? I thought that in the United States the people were
sovereign. Has Poli Sci 150 changed so much in the last 20 years? Or
did the DI editorial board sleep through that course?

Robert Naiman
alumnus

http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/storage/paper736/news/2006/04/19/Opinions/Letter.Sovereignty.To.The.People-1860415.shtml?sourcedomain=www.dailyillini.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com