[Peace-discuss] Our friend in New Orleans Reports

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Sun Apr 23 11:03:12 CDT 2006

Greetings from the center of the biggest natural disaster in the
nation’s history!
4/19/06

We are so grateful to all of our friends and family who have sent
prayers, good wishes, kind words, genuine concern, and even treats! As
most of you know, we evacuated to Houston in the wee hours of August
28th where Craig and his family graciously took us in for the first two
weeks of this journey.

When it became clear that this was not going to be the three-day round
trip hurricane road trip that we all had accustomed ourselves to over
the past several years, we made plans for the next steps. Adam and Minh
and Jenni got apartments in Houston and enrolled the kids in school.
Christopher went to Atlanta to stay with an uncle and finish his senior
year in high school. He comes back every couple months for special
occasions and we’re going to Atlanta next month for his graduation.
David and Rachel and Zeke and I and three dogs went to Thibodaux,
Louisiana – bayou country – and moved in with an old friend who runs
the rural office of Agenda for Children and has a wonderful big house
and an adjoining apartment and a really big yard! We were truly blessed
by the warmth and hospitality that Dianna and Red Constant provided for
us for many months.

Each of us went back to work early on in the journey while we also
worked on getting our houses gutted and tried to keep up with the
latest pronouncements from the Center for Mass Confusion. We put a lot
of miles on our cars! Adam relocated his flooded bicycle shop to a much
larger building and his business is doing very well. All of the “kids”
came back to New Orleans in January when a few of the public schools
re-opened, including those that Reina, Haley, and Zeke had been
attending. Adam and his family are now living in the upstairs of their
house, as are Rachel and David and Zeke.  Jenni and her girls are
staying with Bob and Jean Watts. I came back on March 8th and am living
in a trailer in Rachel and David’s front yard.

What follows is a glimpse of the landscape here in New Orleans.

We’ve been flooded, we’ve been maligned by members of Congress, we’ve
been ignored and dismissed by the President, we’ve been brushed off by
the Treasury Secretary, and we’ve been trumped by the political clout
of our neighboring states. We can’t get paid for the oil we generate,
our wetlands are shrinking at a rapid pace, and the Gulf is warming up
for another hurricane season.

Jobs are available, but child care isn’t. Neither is housing. The State
took over the New Orleans Public Schools because we couldn’t get them
open quickly enough. Now the State says they can’t open them either.

Trash pick-up appears to be run by a lottery system, but no one knows
where you get a ticket. Fast food joints are paying top dollar but
rents have gone over the top. Restaurants are open but menus are short.
No housing plus no child care equals no workforce and that means yet
another fried shrimp po-boy. (Okay. It could be worse!)  Don’t ask us
for our address.  We go blank. “You mean where my house is? or where my
trailer is? or where I’m staying? on weekdays or weekends?”

Trailers are “in!” Unfortunately, hook-ups are “out.” My trailer was
delivered to my front yard on December 2nd and finally hooked up last
week. In the meantime, my daughter and her family moved into the second
floor of their house, and I moved into their trailer. So I gave the
trailer in my front yard to a nice couple down the block with an
un-hooked-up trailer. If theirs gets hooked up, someone else will get
lucky. It’s called trailer-tagging, but don’t tell FEMA! The rules say
you’re supposed to stay where you’re put. FEMA is right up there on our
“top ten hit list,” along with the Army Corps of Engineers, the
insurance industry, and the people who want to make New Orleans a
“living museum.”

Public housing is “out.” Mixed-income housing is “in.” That means about
two-thirds of the families that formerly relied on housing assistance
to make ends meet now have to find somewhere else to live – in a
top-dollar housing market. Real estate developers are salivating,
finally within reach of getting their hands on prime real estate
formerly “squandered” on poor people of color. Professional planners
are having a hay-day. We have plans coming from every direction with no
connection, much like what we call “parallel play” in the world of
early childhood. I keep wondering if the money we’ve lavished on
planners could have been used to make a down payment on a new levee
system.

We’ve lost pretty much everything but our sense of humor, our
unflagging resilience, and our determination to preserve this place!  A
few blocks from my house (which is close to where I’m “staying” in my
trailer) there’s a very large pothole, about two feet deep and eight
feet wide – even bigger than the one a few miles away that cost me
about $500 to replace a tire and a rim.  Anyway, this particular giant
of a pothole inspired the landscaping inclinations of some witty
neighbors. Now dubbed the Broadmoor (neighborhood) Migratory Bird
Refuge and Wetlands Reclamation Project, the watery pothole, surrounded
by bits of rye grass carefully installed on its levees, is home for a
collection of pink plastic flamingos, some tiny living creatures, a toy
boat, and a stuffed green turtle. There’s also a guest book to sign and
a cautionary sign about not feeding the wildlife.

It’s that sort of stuff that keeps us going! There’s also the fact that
we have developed a camaraderie that bonds us together. For one thing,
none of us can remember squat! I get my phone number mixed up with my
bank account number, and my driver’s license number. When I tell the
lady at the bank customer care line to hold while I look up the account
number that I’ve had for twenty years, she laughs!  “No one can
remember anything anymore,” she says. The nice young man who takes down
my information for the housing assistance registry notes the pause when
he asks for my phone number and says gently, “Take your time.”

The exchanging of nods and good-mornings as we pass along the sidewalk
has escalated even for this City in which nodding and greeting has
always been mandatory, but often perfunctory.  When I came back into
the City for the first time, with my son-in-law, there was no one here.
You could hear the birds singing on St. Charles Avenue. There were no
working traffic lights. The only other vehicles on the street were
carrying troops from the National Guard. We waved at them and they
waved at us.

Every time we run into someone we haven’t seen since before the storm,
there’s a reunion scene. Sometimes we forget that we’ve already seen
each other since before the storm – or at least we’re not totally sure,
so we have yet another reunion – complete with hugs and kisses and “are
you back?” and “how’d you make out?” and “how’s your Mama doing?”

Ask us why we stay here and we rise up with one answer – four words:
This is our home!