[Peace-discuss] "Save Darfur": Evangelicals and Establishment Jews

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 15:44:09 CDT 2006

When Presbyterians and others favored selective
disinvestment in companies doing business with Israel,
there was a law proposed the make that illegal. The ad
in the NYT proposed boycotting those who do business
with Sudan, so at least Jewish organizations have
recognized disinvestment as a valid tool. But that
only underlines that the whole campaign reeks of
political calculation rather than genuine
humanitarianism. That is consistent with Israel's
history of foreign relations as well as our own, which
now confine the efforts of Jewish organizations to
those crises that serve the goals of the powerful
first, the oppressed only if convenient, as the
contrast between Gaza and Darfur plainly shows.

David Green