[Peace-discuss] AWARE Minutes for August 13, 2006

karen medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 18 10:47:42 CDT 2006

AWARE Minutes for August 13, 2006
Randall Cotton facilitated
Karen Medina took notes. All mistakes and misrepresentations are hers.

1. News of the Week

Carl was out of town, and the note taker arrived late, so they might
have happened, but I am not sure.

2. Introductions

[I forgot to count the number of attendees]

3. New Ideas

Open Letter to the People of the Middle East. The letter is widely
distributed and supported by many peace groups including United for
Peace and Justice. The title of the letter is "Open Letter to the People
of Lebanon, of Palestine, and of Iraq, and to those who stand for peace
in Israel, From People in the United States Who Believe that Only
Justice Will Bring Peace." Earlier in the week (August 10), Mort posted
the letter to peace-discuss list and suggested that AWARE join in
endorsing the letter. Several comments were made on the list. In Mort's
words, "the letter is simply a desire to tell [the] Lebanese, and
others, that not all Americans support Israel, that there is opposition
here to that rogue state's aims and behavior." The deadline was
8/13/2006 (the evening of this AWARE meeting). Support for the letter
passed and Durl volunteered to sign for AWARE.

4. Working Groups
--
Sign-up sheets were passed around for:
  Farmer's Market

--
Finances (Jan Kruse)
Treasury now has $2017 with approximately $900 in upcoming costs.

--
Main Event
September 2 is the next Main Event and it has been suggested that we

--
C-U Days
This year's event was a success: several good conversations, not a whole

--
Billboard / Referenda Activities
Nothing much new.

--
Bus Posters
It will cost $19 for the posters at Up Close Printing for 75 bright

--
AWARE Presents
Paul Street will be here September 26.

Representative Karen Yarbrough will be here October 17 and 18. She is a
state rep from Broadview Illinois (7th District).
http://www.ilga.gov/house/Rep.asp?GA=94&MemberID=975

Quad Day will be an opportunity to distribute some fliers about these
upcoming events. (a week from Tuesday is Quad Day)

The next meeting for the AWARE Presents working group will be Monday
August 28th, 7pm at the Kruse's

--
Church Presence
Meeting Wednesday August 16, 7pm at the Kruse's.

--
Anti-Racism Court Watch
With regards to the Patrick Thomas case, October 2nd is the next

There were 50 people on Patrick's side at the courthouse. Bob thought
the numbers would have diminished over time, but they have not.

There are a few good articles on the IMC website ( http://ucimc.org ).

Other ideas of anti-racism activities were brought up.
Ray Parrish - counter recruitment
Critical Whiteness Reading Group
Get a list of African American groups in the community and reach out.
Go out and bring back information and understanding.

--
Counter Recruitment
September meeting? Mort is away right now.

--
Student Groups
Gary suggested the name "AWARE Youth"

Right now, the working group consists of Ricky, Dave Key, May, Karen,
Cody, and Gary.

Meeting on Monday August 15, 7pm at 2109 Zuppke in Urbana.

5) Unfinished business
Eyes Wide Open had asked for financial support for the exhibit which
will be on campus September 6. The proposals last week were for $50 and
$75.

The discussion included several points.
Con: Carol Inskeep had contacted 9 groups. If each group donated their
share, then AWARE only need give $40
Pro: AWARE is one of the few completely peace groups of the 9, so our
commitment to the exhibit should be more.
Con: We have committed large sums, so our fiscal situation is not that
great right now. We have a lot of events coming up, and more that are in
the planning.

After much discussion and use of the 90% rule, $40 was approved and May
was collecting personal donations to add to this.

6) Last week's events
C-U Days.

7) Upcoming events:
Student Groups Working Group
2109 Zuppke, Urbana
August 14, Monday
7pm

Church Presence Working Group
at the Kruse's
August 16, Wednesday
7pm

(new) Anti-Racism Working Group
505 Louisiana, Champaign (yellow house)
August 15, Tuesday
7pm
(Note that this was decided after the formal meeting as those interested
in forming an anti-racism working group gathered and discussed a time
that would work for all of them).

Quad Day on UIUC campus
August 22, Tuesday
10am-3pm

Farmer's Market
August 19, Saturday

Sweet corn Festival
August 25, Friday -- 3:30pm - 11pm
August 26, Saturday -- 11am - 11pm

AWARE Presents
At the Kruse's
August 28, Monday
7pm

-- September --

Counter Recruitment
September?

Main Event
One Main, downtown Champaign
September 2, Saturday
2pm-4pm

Pot Luck
September 2, Saturday
at the Kruse's
6:30 - ?

Eyes Wide Open
September 6
The Quad on UIUC campus

Paul Street
Radio Interview
On Focus 580, WILL-AM 580
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
11:00am

Paul Street
Presentation: The Repair of Broken Societies Begins at Home
7:00pm
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
At the Community United Church of Christ
805 S. 6th Street
Champaign, IL 61820

-- October --

Patrick Thomas
October 2

Karen Yarbrough (Illinois State Representative)
October 17-18
(Still in the planning stages)