[Peace-discuss] passing the hat for Tasini

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 26 21:33:42 CDT 2006

Very much worthwhile, given the outrageous positions Clinton continues
to take. And, unlike Lamont, he's seriously anti-war.

(He was also a successful plaintiff in an important case against the
NYT. "New York Times Co. v. Tasini is a leading decision by the United
States Supreme Court on the issue of copyright in the contents of a
newspaper database. The lawsuit brought by members of the National
Writers Union against The New York Times Company, Newsday Inc., Time
Inc., LexisNexis, and University Microfilms Inc. The freelance writers
charged copyright violation due to the use and reuse in electronic media
of articles initially licensed to be published in print form. In a
decisive 7-2 ruling the Court affirmed the copyright privileges of
freelance writers whose works were originally published in periodicals
and then provided by the publishers to electronic databases without
explicit permission of, or compensation to, the writers.")