[Peace-discuss] RE: Darfur (and Gaza)

Scott Edwards scottisimo at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 6 13:54:15 CST 2006

Killing civilians is not an indication of a "political conflict". Widespread
sexual violence is not a by-product of civil war. And the injustice in Gaza
is no excuse for an injustice in Darfur. I challenge anyone to spend three
years trying to address widespread rape, murder, poverty, and disease with
little success and "feel good" about it.

The UN is old news. No one even close to *remotely* familiar with the
situation in Darfur has had any non-rhetorical hope for a UN peacekeeping
operation for about a month and some change. The government of Khartoum,
responsible for millions of deaths since the mid-80s, has heroically stood
up to the international community, and the international community has
heroically backed down.

"Sometimes, we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human
dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become
irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race,
religion, or political views, that place must--at that moment--become the
center of the universe." --Elie Wiesel

-scott