[Peace-discuss] Reply re Darfur

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 15:34:53 CST 2006

    It's a good question. Facts matter, but so do motives. A lot of the liberal problem in this country has to do with not understanding the motives of the neocons--that they didn't go into Iraq to take out Saddam and replace him with democracy. This allows liberals to let war supporters (including themselves) of the hook, and go from there to waffle on withdrawal, again based on the illusion of our "good intentions." I think that Wiesel's motives are awful, and if they represent the move to intervene in Darfur, it's a sign that this intervention not only will come to no good, it's for the cause of no good--that is U.S./European hegemony in the region. Obviously, that's not a good prognosis for actually stopping the conflict.

  DG

Wendy Edwards <wedwards at uiuc.edu> wrote:
  Wait, isn't it a logical fallacy to say, "Since I find Wiesel's
positions on other issues questionable, whatever he has to say
about Darfur must be wrong too?"

Wendy