[Peace-discuss] Fw: [Aware] The Occupation Project

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 01:37:36 CST 2006

At 03:18 PM 12/7/2006, Randall Cotton wrote:

>Just received at our aware at anti-war.net address, regarding an upcoming
>statewide
>civil disobedience campaign rooted in Chicago. I suspect it's just a matter of
>time before this becomes common. Maybe we should start thinking about it.

Randall Robinson wrote in Defending the Spirit: A Black Life in America
that civil disobedience was, in his experience, the only tactic that was
ever successful in actually effectuating any sort of change in government
policy, at least at the federal level.  I quote:

             ...Which brings us to the sine qua non for effective
outside-the-Policy-House advocacy: a gift for self-promotion, a gift used
or, more appropriately, misused to its fullest by those self-seeking souls
unburdened by any restraint of shame.  This is not to disparage
self-promotion, especially when it is an inadvertent by-product of a public
effort to alter wrongheaded public policy.  We have seat belts in our cars,
and consumer safety standards generally, because of the public advocacy of
Ralph Nader, whose formidable public stature has carried in its trail a
salutary and major public policy influence.
             My academic friends and the foundations that fund their
painstaking research appear to understand none of this.  For forty years of
apartheid, the tenured opponents of that system won grants, did research,
wrote monographs and books, gave testimony ad nauseam before Congress.  All
to no effect.  American policy toward South Africa had been and remained
one of de facto public and private embrace.  Few if any members of Congress
felt compelled to read or listen to anything the academic community had to
say.  Only when a campaign of massive civil disobedience was packaged for
public participation in late 1984 did American policy begin to turn around.
             This is not the preferred way to make or influence foreign
policy.  But in America, if you are outside the Policy House, a position to
which virtually all blacks have been relegated, it is the only way to have
impact.  We have won most of the battles in which I have fought.  But the
price has been dear and I am tired and diminished by the process.  In all
the years of meeting with presidents, secretaries of state, national
security advisors, U.S. trade representatives, and members of Congress, I
cannot recall a single change of policy course that resulted from any of
the hundreds of discussions, the thousands of letters, the scores of
presentations to perfunctory nods and courteous closings.  Like water off a
duck’s back.  It never ever meant a damn thing...

Pages 244-45

Even at that, civil disobedience has to be carefully thought out, targeted,
etc.  It has, for example, still not succeeded in ridding America of
nuclear warheads or the School of the Americas.  But I think a critical
mass of Americans are ready to get out of Iraq....

John Wason