[Peace-discuss] Re: hostility towards activists

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 13 09:12:06 CST 2006

Washington clearly doesn't think the "possibility [of a UN force in
Sudan] has passed."  And if "no one seriously involved in ... policy
making on Darfur ever advocated ... an armed invasion of Sudan by the
UN," then you must consider the US government not "seriously involved in
... policy making on Darfur."

Good-hearted liberals and those Santayananly unable to learn from
history (specifically the Kosovo war -- US policy is so consistent as to
be repetitious) continue to give cover to US imperial policy on Africa
(e.g., campus die-ins).

Less innocent are those who understand the generally unadvertised policy
quite well and support it, notably the embattled Israeli lobby.  The
"Save Darfur" coalition, that came to public attention with a rally in
Washington last spring featuring George Clooney and Elie Wiesel, "was
actually begun exclusively as an initiative of the American Jewish
community," according to the Jerusalem Post.

The USG and the lobby have long found the Muslim government of Sudan a
convenient hate-object.  (Few Americans remember that the Clinton
administration rocketed a pharmaceutical plant in Sudan: the result of
the loss of medicines has been estimated to include thousands of deaths
-- the US blocked a UN attempt to investigate the results.)  Like those
other objects of US attack, Serbia and Somalia, Sudan is on the ring
around the cynosure of US foreign policy, Mideast energy resources.
Two-thirds of its oil goes to China, at a time the US is desperately
afraid of the emergence of an independent Asian power grid (the source
of the Iran "crisis" and the US nuclear deal with India).  And the
atrocities that have resulted from the rebel uprising in Darfur can be
presented as an occasion for the USG's propagandistic "global war on
terrorism."

Now the well-known Washingtonian poodle, PM Blair of the UK --
practically the only foreign leader supporting George Bush's carnage in
Iraq -- is calling for "tougher action" against Sudan.  In a visit to
Washington last week, Blair boasted that he told Bush that they had to
deal with Omar al-Bashir, the Sudanese president, in the next two to
three months.  While it lets Blair bloviate (remember Bush's
embarrassing "Yo, Blair" open-mike incident, when Blair plead to be
allowed to go the Middle East and Bush wouldn't let him), Washington is
planning air strikes and a naval blockade.

The Financial Times quotes a US official as saying “The Americans mean
business.”  The US is demanding Sudan admit a “hybrid” force of UN and
African Union peacekeepers.  Similarly, before the bombing of Serbia,
the US demanded that NATO have unchecked access to that country.  It's
of course likely that military intervention against Khartoum’s wishes
would, among other things, risk destroying a separate North-South
agreement that ended decades of civil war last year.  But that's
incidental to Washington's goals in Africa.

Regards, CGE

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/aa7683f2-8a1f-11db-ae27-0000779e2340.html