[Peace-discuss] Tim Johnson supports the Chief (the hostile or abusive racial, ethnic or national origin mascot or symbol)

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Fri Dec 15 17:42:03 CST 2006

I attended the hearing held at Parkland today called by Rep. Tim
Johnson to discuss his US Congressional bill regarding the NCAA and the
mascot issue.  It was a full house of about 100 in attendance plus a
lot of police and media.  Always intriguing when a group of white men
(mostly) 'pretending' to be on a fact finding mission regarding "Native
American Symbols" quizzes a panel of white men(mostly) and with no
native voices given an opportunity to speak.  The Johnson group allowed
one voice of color (Mr. Davis) but no native folks spoke.  Panel
members including an Honor the CHIEF supporter, Chapin Rose, Mr Holms a
lawyer from Mattoon and a former Dancing Chief all spoke in support of
the mascot and implied that someone (NCAA) is 'arrogant', 'audacious',
'intrenched' and 'unfair'. Seemed like an ironic statement to me. The
lone black voice on the panel Mr. Bernard Franklin (from NCAA) made a
great point when Johnson tried to force him to say that to be
consistent and fair the fighting Irish should ban their mascot to avoid
offending the Irish. Mr. Franklin said: "there is a difference between
a Leprechaun and an entire race of people". Johnson was a least a
little rattled by that. Mr. Kaufman's voice on the panel opposing the
chief was important however limited (the only one allowed to speak in
opposition).  The event was well controlled; not allowing any audience
questions, no banners, some anti-chief shirts were asked to be removed,
all pro-chief shirts seemed to be allowed, no applause or comments
permitted and a very large police ( about 8-9) presence. We all had to
pass through security to get in.  I was told they were looking for
banners and weapons.  None were found that I noticed. One man had to
leave a cape outside that opposed the chief. Johnson kept thanking
everyone for being civil.......
I guess that means being controlled and not really allowed to pose an
alternative voice.
Fascinating to observe the lack of conscience and the huge showing of
arrogant white privilege assumed by so many in positions of power.  It
will be interesting to see how the local media covers this.

>> Subject: Tim Johnson supports the Chief (the hostile or abusive
>> racial, ethnic or national origin mascot or symbol)
>>
>> Update: time, place, and date now set!
>> Congressional hearing slated for Parkland College: The December 15
>> session will discuss House Bill 5289, the *Protection of University
>> Governance Act of 2006*. This bill would allow the U of I to sue the
>> NCAA and seek damages for loss of revenue if the University was
>> barred from hosting a championship game.
>> (barred from hosting post season competitions because U of I has
>> defied the NCAA ruling to get rid of the Chief).
>> Discussion will take place at 10:30 AM Friday December 15 in Parkland
>> College's Wing D Room D244.
>> Parkland College is located at 2400 W. Bradley Avenue, Champaign.
>>
>> Johnson wants C-U to host hearings on NCAA bill

Jan Kruse