[Peace-discuss] Meg has a Letter to the editor News-Gazette 12/21

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Thu Dec 21 18:00:40 CST 2006

Johnson should direct efforts to Iraq

Thursday December 21, 2006

Ohio's congressman and presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich held a
hearing last week on the devastating human costs of our war in Iraq.
Our congressman, Tim Johnson, held a hearing last week on the rights of
universities to run athletic programs without NCAA oversight.

Congressman Johnson expressed concern over the NCAA's violation of
local autonomy that this nation and state stand for. If only our
congressman was half as concerned about the autonomy of a country we
invaded, unprovoked, and a people we continue to kill with our planes,
artillery and unmanned drones.

If only our congressman had the temerity to investigate our devastation
against a previously unarmed population, deprived for over a decade by
our post-Gulf War sanctions, who had the misfortune to be living under
the rule of Saddam, our former ally now fallen from our grace.

If only our congressman would join presidential candidate Kucinich in
calling for an end to the off-the-books supplemental funding of our war
on Iraq. The Defense Department has enough funds to bring every
American now in Iraq home; if we keep funding the department, more of
our precious neighbors will be sent into this debacle, the will of last
month's electorate will be ignored and this senseless killing will
continue.

That Tim Johnson cares more about supporting the autonomy of Chief
Illiniwek supporters over the life and death issues facing our armed
forces and innocent civilians in Iraq is a shameful betrayal of the
office he holds.

  MEG MINER

Mansfield
  Find this article at: