[Peace-discuss] Cartoon hysteria

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 8 14:10:06 CST 2006

I agree with Karen regarding this hysteria over some cartoons.
I saw Hotel Rwanda last night at Channing Murray, and was struck
by just how much evil is like throwing a switch. Suddenly folks
who have lived as neighbors started hacking each other to death.
It is not easy to understand the change in psychology.

I don't think what is going on is different in principle from
the anti-communist hysteria of the 50s. Once civility has broken
down, it isn't at all clear how one can reestablish it. It
becomes its own reason for existence.

Bob