[Peace-discuss] Cartoon hysteria

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 04:06:13 CST 2006

At 11:22 PM 2/8/2006, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>"Civility" is hardly the problem.  Discrimination and
>injustice -- whether in petty matters, as at WEFT, or in
>criminal matters, as in our government -- are still
>discrimination and injustice, even if done civilly.
>
>To be concerned about civility rather than minor or major
>crimes is madness -- a massive exercise in missing the point,
>or what the Freudians calls displacement.  Elsewhere it was
>called straining at a gnat and swallowing a camel. --CGE

Leaving aside the fact that semantic sophistry also frequently involves
straining at gnats and swallowing camels, I can concede that perhaps
"civility" was too euphemistic a term.  Nevertheless a dearth of brotherly
love can lead to incivility, discrimination, and injustice both petty and
colossal, both local and global.  Shall we concern ourselves only with
symptoms, or can we proceed to root causes?