[Peace-discuss] Civility

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 9 12:36:19 CST 2006

The "highly valuable members" were "lost" because they chose
to stop attending meetings -- with, admittedly, something of
the childish posture of "Look what you made me do!" -- after a
substantive political dispute.

Their position was racist (we can't treat black politicians
like white politicians, in Al's phrase) and pro-war (we can't
be "rude" to Obama by pointing out that he was for the
continuation of the war).  I objected to that, and they
decided it was uncivil of me to say so  -- in meetings, by
email, or in print.  So they went away.

I think the anti-war movement needs more of that incivility.
Cindy Sheehan has given us a splendid example. (She's now
thinking of running against an Obama-like liberal senator,
and I hope she does.)

The founder of the "Civility Caucus" in the House of
Representatives is our own Rep. Johnson.  I wonder why?

--CGE