[Peace-discuss] Cartoon hysteria

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 9 13:00:00 CST 2006

No, John, I don't agree that civility is "too euphemistic a
term": I think it's just euphemistic enough.  It covers sin
with smooth names.

But I do agree that "a dearth of brotherly love" can have the
deleterious effects you describe.  But brotherly love (some
would now find the adjective exclusionary and therefore
uncivil, but I know you don't mean it that way) cannot be just
(a) an attitude or interior disposition, without practical
effect; or (b) good manners that prevent the denunciation of
immoral positions (e.g., Obama's, on the war).

Any love (or civility) that has the effect of lessening our
attention to torture and murder by the government we're
responsible for (or even to minor injustices by associations
we're members of) is factitious. --CGE