[Peace-discuss] Civility

Wendy Edwards wedwards at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 9 13:09:12 CST 2006

I agree.  Although I'm not heavily involved with AWARE, I've observed
a number of online communities in the last 12 years.  When civility
is optional, the entire atmosphere changes.  You get a lot more
flamewars and drama, and these sometimes eclipse the original purpose
of the group.  This is why the UCIMC editors remove troll postings
from the site - they tend to be quite disruptive.

It seems quite reasonable to unsubscribe when the signal-to-noise
ratio drops below a certain point.  This is hardly childish; rather,
it's a rational decision about how to spend one's time and resources.

Wendy