[Peace-discuss] War and civility

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 9 14:06:41 CST 2006

My objection to the urging of civility is that it is a hidden
way of establishing another limit to allowable debate, a way
covertly to establish some positions as unassailable, because
to criticize them is declared uncivil.

Obviously the assertion that black politicians must be treated
differently from white politicians (specifically, that their
pro-war positions must be indulged) isn't racist in the same
sense (nor so serious) as, say, the anti-Semitic propaganda
with which the Bush administration defends its War on Terror.
It is nevertheless an error that damages the anti-war
movement (as it seems to me Cindy Sheehan makes clear), and it
has its roots in an identity politics that's been the bane of
the Left for a generation.  --CGE