[Peace-discuss] Hypocrisy is the issue.

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 10:33:39 CST 2006

I re-submitted the letter that I wrote earlier this
week, and the opinions editor has responded by saying
that he will publish it. So I stand corrected
regarding my claim that they are no longer publishing
my letters--at least for now.

If the editor's decision to publish the cartoons is a
way of fostering a discussion of them, which he claims
it is, then one must support his decision--although
the cartoons can be easily seen online, and publishing
them is a waste of "precious" editorial space, which
is quite limited, especially in terms of room for
input from readers. They've hired so many columnists
that there is very little space for letters or guest
commentaries.

We can help to determine what the nature of the debate
will be. So far, a big part of it has been to use the
cartoons as a pretense to lecture Muslims about
"western values." This sort of response only
reinforces the stereotype expressed in the cartoons,
and doesn't include western values of militarism and
conquest.

We need to remind people of who is occupying whose
countries, the treatment of Muslims in Europe, and the
consequences of 9/11 for Muslims in this country.

DG