[Peace-discuss] Cartoons

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 04:15:08 CST 2006

At 01:03 AM 2/11/2006, Janine Giordano wrote:

>Matt said, "I am opposed to the publishing of this crap in much the same
>way I publicly
>opposed the publishing of the zionist, anti-palestinian trash that appeared
>in the DI a few years ago. (full page ad depecting palestinian children as
>terrorists to be...)"
>
>Just to play devil's advocate and discuss what we mean by "free speech" in
>the bounds of hate crimes and offense---- what if we called the cartoons
>art? Would you still be up for its "censorship"? I remember wanting to
>walk out of a lecture a couple years ago wherein religious iconography of
>mine was incredibly desecrated--the professor, however, vehemently
>insisted that this was ART. To play devil's advocate only, what if we call
>these cartoons were called art? Would you think them publishable? What if
>the cartoons were making fun of Jesus? Is the problem that it contributes
>to a climate that is already hateful? (If so, is the problem solved by
>suppressing its symptom?)
>
>I do agree that publishing ads of palestinian children as "terrorists to
>be" adds fuel to the flames of racist visual material. I would not think
>that needs to be published. I agree that the first ammendment does not
>encompass the freedom to harm one another. But, where do we draw the line
>between hate crimes and free-market capitalist "speech" called art,
>advertised products made on the sweat of third world labor, or shares of
>stock in an exploitative and corrupt corporation? [I see these cartoons as
>symptoms of oppression in the same way I see high dividends paid to
>shareholders of corporations that that rely on sweatshops. Do we agree
>that the "hate crime" is done, or does it continue to inflict harm every
>time it is read?)] Whom do we ultimately benefit from suppressing the
>spread of this imagery? Immediately, yes, we protect the dignity of the
>people it lampoons. But is the result the same in the longrun? Is there
>any value to "muckraking" journalism?
>
>Janine

I'm reminded of the work of "art" entitled "Piss Christ" a couple decades
ago.  I did a google search on it, and here's a point of view I came
across, from what appears to be a German blog.

I hasten to add that I personally agree with Matt Reichel, below, and
presumably with Bob Illyes.  Freedom of speech is not only a right, but a
privilege which should be used responsibly.  Be it "art" or be it plain old
political speech, as a general rule I don't believe in exercising my
"right" to free speech if I know that the content of my speech is going to
be offensive to a significant segment of the population.  I feel obligated,
at the very least, to balance that consideration against the "importance"
of my speech.

http://www.peaktalk.com/archives/001925.php

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

DANISH BOYCOTT, CHRIST AND FREEDOM

A reader mails:
You know Pieter, it really irritates me to no end how the libs have been
jumping all over this as the group against offensiveness towards religions.
You remember that whole "Piss Christ" thing years back? Weren't it the libs
back then jumping up and down for freedom of expression?

Yes, I instantly remembered <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ>"Piss
Christ" and when I did some research I was surprised that it was almost
twenty years ago that it happened. And it was a double controversy, the
left fighting for freedom of expression while the right was furious over
the fact that a piece of blasphemy had been funded by the American taxpayer.

My reader is of course right. Our culture has accepted the notion that
there is nothing wrong in using whatever means to argue that the dogmas and
teachings of Jesus Christ are morally corrupt. Freedom of expression, fine,
although we can discuss matters of good taste when it comes to Andres
Serrano's now infamous depiction of Christ. Still, that assertion has
somehow been accompanied by the argument that it is simply not acceptable
to apply any criticism or ridicule to any other religion, most notably the
one that finds itself increasingly in the spotlight of recent intellectual
and public scrutiny. I leave it to your imagination if Serrano's original
work was somehow amended with another deity taking Christ's place. I guess
we would not be debating freedom of expression or who funded it, we would
probably be debating something completely different.

Again, the ability to apply criticism and ridicule are the basic rights of
anyone living in a western democracy. As a society we should expect
citizens and artists alike to apply a measure of good taste. It is very
hard to argue that the Jyllands-Posten's cartoons were offensive, but a
case could be made that Serrano's "Piss Christ" was testing the limits of
that somewhat arbitrary 'taste measure'. But we didn't kill Serrano, we
didn't destroy his career, we didn't ask him for damages and a
rectification, no, we debated it and we are still debating it today, twenty
years on. That's freedom, that's democracy.

Posted by Pieter Dorsman at 03:55 PM |
<http://www.peaktalk.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi?__mode=view&entry_id=1925>TrackBack (0)