[Peace-discuss] RE: Sinclair Lewis

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 09:24:48 CST 2006

>Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:19:13 -0600
>From: Bob Illyes <illyes at uiuc.edu>
>Subject: [Peace-discuss] Sinclair Lewis
>To: peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net
>
>Thanks for the Sinclair Lewis quote, Chuck. A person who claims
>that folks who disagree with him are not merely wrong, but evil,
>is a according to my dictionary bigot. A fascist claims that if
>we don't all stick together, we'll sink, and therefore dissent
>is not merely wrong but evil. The distinction between these two
>types of persons is not very evident to me.
>
>Bob

Hi Bob,

Your explanation helps me understand the following bit of "fan mail" that I
received from a "tolerant" AWARE member a month ago concerning AWARE's
"Church presence":

---------------------------

Phil seems to have gone off the edge, and I don't think his curious
(paranoid?) tirade is worthy of a reply.  It is sadly extreme in the  most
retrograde, narrow-minded, and willfully ignorant sense. To me it seems
disturbed. He is revealed by his  astounding statement:

"... it looks like you're trying to make what is good (celibacy, marriage,
monogamy, morality, worship of God), evil, and what is evil (abortion,
immorality, drugs--i. e. NORML, denial of God), good."

Will Phil soon be telling us about "intelligent design", or that the world
was created by his God 6000 year ago? How to reason with folks like that is
beyond me. The schools have failed.  I hope he'll have another rebirth.

----------------------------

I believe that our "tolerant" and "enlightened" atheist friend is confused
about the difference between religious teachings and personal preferences.
I don't judge between good and evil, but I do accept what the Bible has to
say about it.  The quote about good and evil (less my embellishments) is
from Isaiah 5:20:

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light
and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."

This verse was expounded upon by John Wesley in his commentary on the Sermon
on the Mount:

"What heightens the difficulty still more is, that they are not the rude and
senseless part of mankind, at least not these alone, who set us the example,
who throng the downward way, but the polite, the well-bred, the genteel, the
wise, the men who understand the world, the men of knowledge, of deep and
various learning, the rational, the eloquent! These are all, or nearly all,
against us. And how shall we stand against these? Do not their tongues drop
manna; and have they not learned all the arts of soft persuasion? -- And of
reasoning too; for these are versed in all controversies, and strife of
words. It is therefore a small thing with them to prove, that the way is
right, because it is broad; that he who follows a multitude cannot do evil,
but only he who will not follow them; that your way must be wrong, because
it is narrow, and because there are so few that find it. These will make it
clear to a demonstration, that evil is good, and good is evil; that the way
of holiness is the way of destruction, and the way of the world the only way
to heaven."

I really like the part, "they are not the rude and senseless part of
mankind... who throng the downward way, but the polite, the well-bred, the
genteel, the wise, the men who understand the world, the men of knowledge,
of deep and various learning, the rational, the eloquent!"  But, by your
definition, the founder of the Methodist Church is a screaming bigot.
You're free to believe that, Bob, but by your reasoning, ALL religious
beliefs that deal with good and evil are bigoted, and people who quote such
beliefs in arguments are bigots.  I just want to be sure that's what you're
saying.

Now let's look at dictionary definitions (taken from dictionary.com for ease
of cut and paste):

bigot: a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from
his own

fas·cism:  1. (a) A system of government marked by centralization of
authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of
the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of
belligerent nationalism and racism.

              (b)A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating
such a system of government.

           2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

Note the difference between bigot and fascist.  I'd be cautious before I
started throwing around labels.  That's what people start doing when they've
run out of arguments.

--Phil