[Peace-discuss] RE: Wesley etc.

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 18 14:00:21 CST 2006

Phil Stinard wrote:
> I think that one thing we need  to do when speaking about issues of good and evil is to define them.
> When I speak of good and evil, I define them in terms of what is
> pleasing and what is displeasing to God, as revealed in the Bible.

I think you will find major differences throughout the Bible including
some very drastic contradictions. And one has to remember that we were
getting it all wrong and that is part of the reason Jesus was sent. Many
of Jesus' recorded actions were all about telling the interpreters of
the Scriptures that their interpretations were off.

"In many of its details, the Bible is simply wrong! Epilepsy is not
caused by demon possession. David did not write the Psalms. The earth is
not the center of the universe. [...the Bible's] verses have been used
to affirm war, slavery, segregation and apartheid. It defines women as
inferior creatures and suggests that homosexual persons be put to death."

George W. Bush implies that he, through the use of the Bible, has the
correct definitions for good and evil. He uses the Bible to justify his
actions. He continues to have a strong backing by many churches who
claim to interpret the Bible directly. I think he and they are very wrong.

There are even contradictions in the Gospels, even so I believe the
message of Christ was that we are to love each other, even on the
Sabbath and even in our judging and punishing (our throwing of stones at
sinners). If we interpret the entirety of the Scriptures with a message
of love and compassion for each other in mind, it does help resolve some
contradictions.

And dear Phil, please remember that your fundamental interpretations of
Christianity represents only a small percentage of all Christians. Be
careful when you claim to represent all of us.

Peace,
-karen medina