[Peace-discuss] RE:Wesley etc.

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 19 21:33:50 CST 2006

Hi Karen,

If you look at what Jesus said, some of it was about interpretations being
off (e. g. dietary codes), and some of it reiterated previous teachings (e.
g. on divorce and sexual morality).  If you are going to discard some
teachings, then what are your standards for doing so, and why believe any of
it?  Jesus clearly modified some of the Old Testament teachings, for
instance where He told the Pharisees "let he who is without sin cast the
first stone" at the adultress, but then He told the adultress, "Go and sin
no more."  I would apply the same standard to homosexuality, speaking the
truth in love.  As Bob said, you have to use your brain in order to
interpret the Bible.

As for representing all Christians, I clearly said that those were my
beliefs, and I backed them up with scriptures.  However, I'd be willing to
wager that more than "a small percentage of all Christians" believe that the
Bible is the inspired word of God.  And even if  that were the case, it
wouldn't bother me.  It's better to be right than be popular.

--Phil