[Peace-discuss] Re: Letter on Sudan in DI

Tammy Watts tammyewatts at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 13:13:30 CST 2006

Hi Everyone:

  Dave, thanks for posting this.  It certainly clears up some questions and misconceptions I had.  I think the biggest mistake we can make is to paint Africa with the same brush, attributing every problem to "tribal" in-fighting or even colonialism, although these are two ingredients present (in varying proportions) throughout the continent.  Or, as the media tries to portray, "bad Muslims/Arabs" killing "innocent Christians/black Africans." After watching Hotel Rwanda and Sometimes in April, I was all for intervention in Sudan, though I didn't know what form it should take.  Our inaction in Rwanda resulted in part from our experience in Somalia; our rush to intervene in Sudan is due largely to our guilt over Rwanda.  This has brought home to me the importance of treating each country, conflict and situation separately.  In fact, the issues facing Somalia, Rwanda and Sudan are largely incomparable.  Perhaps everyone else was better educated on this, but I must admit a great deal of
 ignorance on these issues.  My focus has been on the Middle East, specifically the Palestinian plight for so long I developed a sort of tunnel vision.  Broadening my scope of concern to these atrocities has been overwhelming and frankly, emotionally exhausting.

  Tammy