[Peace-discuss] a small-scaled metaphor for Darfur

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 22 14:00:29 CST 2006

This is my current feeling about the situation in Darfur.

A smaller scaled metaphor:
Situation: Two people are fighting on the street. One person
draws a gun. The other person has no gun. You just happen to
have a gun. What do you do?

A friend (1) says that he would walk away and let them settle
it. I say to this first friend, what if the two people
fighting are important to you? Does that change your answer?
What if both were people you loved? Pretend like they are
your children that you care for deeply. What do you do with
the guns and the situation?

A friend (2) says that you throw the unarmed person a gun
too. I say that this solution will end up with two dead
bodies on the street. Or, for the least, one dead person that
you care about, and the other person is now a murderer.

Another friend (3) says you pull your gun and step between
the two people fighting. I say you are in no better
situation. One person still has a gun and they are still
trying to get to the other person. Plus, what if there were
more than one person you are trying to defend, and these
people are so spread out that you can not be in more than one
place at a time and defend them against the person who wants
to kill them?

Yet another friend (4) says: you put down your gun and you
try to talk to the two people, mediate between them, find out
what the problem is. I like this answer.

I care deeply for the people in Darfur. I do not want a
military intervention.

-karen medina