[Peace-discuss] City Council Resolution on U.S. troops in Iraq

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 23 21:20:41 CST 2006

Ms. Barnes:

You position is clear and understandable, but I wonder what
you would say if you found an account of a member of the
Lexington, Massachusetts, city council (or its equivalent)
writing something similar in April of 1775?  I'm afraid that
we'd judge that person rather harshly.  And I'm sure you can
think of similar historical examples.

Regards,  C. G. Estabrook

> Message from Ms. Barnes:
>
> There is nothing complicated about my position on this.  I
simply
> don't believe it is appropriate or advisable to debate/vote
on and use
> council time on a matter which is decided by our federal
government
> leaders.   All of the effort that is being expended is good for
> education of those interested in hearing, etc. but in my
opinion,
> could be better focused on Obama, Johnson, Durbin and upcoming
> elections which will effect our future policy regarding
these matters.
>    There are many, many significant decisions made by our
federal
> lawmakers that certainly affect us, but I believe I was
elected to