[Peace-discuss] Iraq War Resolution

Tammy Watts tammyewatts at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 24 09:26:51 CST 2006

Good Morning Everyone,

  I submitted the following to Ms. Barnes, similarly to Mr. Roberts.

  Dear Ms. Barnes:

  I am aware of your opposition to a city council resolution calling for an end to the war in Iraq.  The concerns you express are legitimate; certainly such a resolution would carry no legal weight, however the following might be of interest to you:

   19 Wisconsin communities have put the issue on upcoming primary ballots
   Chicago's city council approved a resolution calling for troop withdrawal
   Harlem Township (Rockford area) will be voting on the issue in their primary
  Therefore, a significant number of local bodies here in the Midwest do feel the Iraq war is a very pertinent issue.  Such action at this level proves to our legislators in Washington that an end to the war in Iraq is of utmost importance to their constituents and pressures them to act accordingly; significantly more than a simple "letter to one's congressman/woman" could ever do.

  Finally, I would wager that a large percentage of the community knows someone personally who is serving or who has served in Iraq.  Some may know a soldier who has been injured; still others may know someone who has been killed.  The scope and enormity of this ill-conceived conflict makes the issue of troop withdrawal not only local, but very personal.

  Respectfully,

  Tammy E. Watts
  (217) 721-3585

http://mail.yahoo.com