[Peace-discuss] message sent to Urbana City Council rep

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Mon Feb 27 08:48:53 CST 2006

Below is the message I've sent to my City Council representative, Lynne
Barnes:

Dear Lynne,
Please reconsider your postion on the City Council resolution critiquing our
on-going presense in Iraq. You have stated that you don't believe it is
"appropriate or advisable to debate/vote on and use council time on a matter
which is decided by our federal government leaders. ... There are many, many
significant decisions made by our federal lawmakers that certainly affect
us, but I believe I was elected to work on local issues, and there are
certainly plenty of those."

Do you apply the same thinking in other areas of life? If a member of your
husband's family was having problems would you turn your back and say you
only married your husband, not his family? If your child was having trouble
at school would you not make contact with the school, saying my job is only
in our home?

You don't strike me as the type who would. Rather I would imagine you would
conceive of the big picture, recognize that what happens in one part of the
family or a child's life affects the rest, and creatively utilize all the
various roles you play -- wife, mother, professional, friend, citizen, etc
-- to look for a solution. Can we do any less when we are trying to get our
nation to play a reasonable role in the world, to stop being responsible for
the deaths of so many innocent people, to lead in a way that truly leads
toward security and well-being?

So I am asking you to please reconsider your position on this very important
matter to us all.

Thank you for your attention,
Lisa Chason
2306 S. Grange Drive