[Peace-discuss] Discussion of the "Liberal Media"

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Thu Jan 5 15:29:35 CST 2006

An extract of an interview of Media Lens (ML) authors Cromwell and
Edwards, analyzing the so-called liberal media in the UK, largely
applicable also to the USA,. For the complete interview see (from
zmag.org)

  http://www.zmag.org/content/print_article.cfm?
itemID=9465&sectionID=21        --mkb

…
UKW: The liberal media do allow some genuine dissenting voices. The
Guardian and the independent for instance publish articles by
principled radicals such as George Monbiot, Mark Curtis, Naomi Klein,
Robert Fisk amongst others. If the liberal media are truly “Guardians
of Power” why let these dissenting voices be heard at all?

ML: This is not actually true. The liberal media do not allow genuine
dissent when it comes to analysing the structural corruption of the
corporate media system. Monbiot, Klein and Fisk have written
essentially nothing about this topic in the Guardian and Independent.
Last time we checked, Curtis had not mentioned the role of the media
at all in his Guardian articles. Fisk never criticises the
Independent – in fact he praises it, as he does the British media
generally. He does not focus on the appalling performance of the
liberal media – he seems to believe that the Independent really is
independent; an astonishingly naïve view. Recall that these are our
most honest writers. Serious media analysis is a completely taboo
subject within the mainstream. We published one article on the issue
in the Guardian in December 2004 but that was a one-off gesture in
response to intense criticism of the Guardian from Media Lens readers
– it took us four months to place the article and we haven’t been
invited back.

The only journalist who has been consistently honest about the media
is John Pilger. It’s interesting to consider how he’s treated. In our
view he’s the country’s most powerful dissident – his writing is
superb, and the depth and breadth of his insight is beyond most of
the other writers you mention. But it seems there’s no place for him
in any of the quality papers! People talk about the Guardian comment
editor Seumas Milne as a radical force – but he won’t publish Pilger.
We’ve asked Milne why and he refuses to answer. So our best living
dissident – obviously one of the all-time greats – is required to
write a fortnightly column in the New Statesman which reaches a few
thousand people. So why is he treated differently to Klein and
Monbiot? Because he’s honest about the media – he criticises the
Guardian, he draws attention to the vital role of the entire liberal
media establishment in crimes against humanity. So he is persona non
grata. The same is true of Chomsky. …